1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

garden tractor/snow plow & tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J & B Lawncare, Sep 11, 2007.

1. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

I am building a dedicated sidewalk rig. A smaller garden tractor with a plow. Last year I did run the tractor with chains on it and it moved fine. I ran it on for a short time because we had cobbled it together in a short time and it needed more work. This year we worked it over and added a sturdier mounting frame and upgrading the electrics. I was wondering if anyone ever ran studs on a small tractor. How did it work? Do they still make kits to install stud yourself? I used studs on my vehicles years ago and liked them.

Thanks for any info.
  2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

you can buy the studs at a powersports store for motorcycles or snowmobiles.

Or you can make your own with some drywall screws and nuts. It works surprisingly well.
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

i have a "garden tractor" 4x4, knobby tires, but no studs, its a new Simplicity Legacy XL with 48" width, i know you might be loking for something more narrow, but honestly at least in NJ, if we were to get a 20" or more snow fall, most smaller tractors cant push that weight. Mine weights ~1100 lbs with a 27hp diesel briggs 3 cyl engine, 175lbs for me, the plow or loader weight and box in back is ~300lbs ... Even with all that, sometimes i start spinning all 4 wheels and walking sideways off of a 4' sidewalk in the country developments. :) i can shoot you a few pics of it with me doing snow removal if youd like. chreha@hotmail.com