1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Garden Tractor Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Nov 30, 2000.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Hi all,
    I have a somewhat small driveway, depending on your perspective as to where you live, etc. But i have a 1964 Bush Hog Garden Tractor with a 40" blade on front and would like some ideas as to what are some neat little goodies or extras to put on it, like light posts on the corners of the blade, etc.? Thanks in advance for all ideas.. this will be my first year using it as my Granpa just gave me the blade this summer, so any tips as to how to go about plowing with a garden tractor will be appreciated also. It is a strong tractor with good traction (depending on how much weight is on it and the tires on it, etc. )and i am about done rebuilding the engine. It does angle in five different positions. Here is a picture page of my tractor and some of the pictures have the blade on, some of are last winter without the blade , just playing... : http://www.angelfire.com/in3/bhgt/mine.html
    Also, what is the good of having a rear blade on a truck if the truck would have to drive through the snow for the blade to touch it, unless you drive in reverse? And what would be a good thing to use (like rubber of some sort) to put on the bottom scraper part of the blade to keep from scratching the surface off the driveway (blacktop)? You can see some of the driveway in the picture at the bottom of the webpage i mentioned above. Sorry for rambling, and thanx for all replies and answers,
    Eric

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Welcome to Lawnsite. I don't know what you mean by "light posts" but if you're talking about the markers you see on truck plows you don't need them because you can see the blade from the operator seat. I couldn't see the cab picture for some reason, but that would be my suggestion for goodies. My tip would be to push the snow as far as possible to leave room to put snow from the next storms. Rear plows on trucks are used to back drag from garages (residential & commercial). So yes, you back the truck up to the building where you can't push snow into, drop the rear plow and pull the snow away. You could put a rubber or, (gasp!) a polyurethane edge on the plow. Use the search button in the top right hand corner to learn about those edges. Good luck.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many pics on that page. Takes forever to load.

I too like to toy with my garden tractor. A much smaller Wheel Horse, MUCH older too. Plows great. Wheel weights make a big improvement. Try using old brake rotors like I did. No extra weight on the axle that way. Could use old brake drums too.

Rubber and urethane leave no marks on paver stone driveways. No scrape marks on concrete. And urethane won't move gravel when plowing gravel surfaces. Scraping blackop isn't usually a problem. It hides it well.

Here's my tractor.

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/myvplow.html

~Chuck

4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

BRL: I was using the light posts as an exampmle, i wouldn't go that far... yes i saw the pictures were messed up, i had the wrong address in there, so it tried to load a picture that didn't even exist.. i will fix it real soon... I meant what can i find to use as an edge , not what is a good material.. the search button thing didn't do a lot of good.

Chuck: The pictures don't take that long to load.. i might make them smaller so then you could click to enlarge a picture.. The problem with wheel weights is it is harder for the engine to turn the wheel because it is heavier.. i have already looked into that.. i will just have some added weight to the tractor.. I looked at your Wheel Horse V-plow page, it's neat was thinking of making one myself that could angle just about any directions.. am making plans now.

Thanks for all replies guys,
    BushHogBoy

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I can understand it being a little harder for the engine to turn the rear wheels with weights, but it puts the weight right on the tires, for more traction. It's also "unsprung weight" which puts less of a load on the axle. Have seen small tractors like these crack a weld on the axle tube from excessive weight on the rear. And in low gears, I think the engine has no trouble at all turning the wheels with weight.

~Chuck

6. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I would put a small warning light on your tractor, would make your plow blade taller and give it more of a curve to the blade. This will help you move deaper snow. Hope this helps and happy plowing.

7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

slplow: where should the light go? I am just plowing my driveway and the neighbors, so i won't be around a lot of traffic, like in a parking lot or business drive or anything like that... i was already thinking of making a taller blade thing..
    Thanks,
    Eric

8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

On the roof, cab or somewhere on the back. As long as it is visible. Hope this helps.

9. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Bushog Boy...
    I started my business (sort of)last year with an eighteen horse Ranch King tractor, a 42" blade and a 125 lb. Agri-Fab spreader. I did driveways with the blade and I serviced a 109 home private plat with the spreader and salt. It might surprise you what you can do if you put your mind to it. This year I still have the "Little Guy" but I now have an '85 G.M.C. with a 7'6" western plow and a Western stainless steel salt hopper. This year I am starting off with just three contracts, but I also hold down an 11hr. a day job in a factory. You can see a picture of the "Little Guy" on my web site... bargersigns.com

10. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I forgot...I take care of the traction problem (this tractor has the older style large rear tires) by cutting down to fit some old automobile tire chains. The ones you can buy in the store for lawn tractors were not big enough to do the job. The spreader had a traction problem so I bought some light weight but stout small chain and hand made a tire chain for the drive wheel. The spreader from Agri-Fab did an absolutely great job getting the whole street and a little of the driveways with a single pass down the middle. If you do any plowing in a travelled street or parking lot be sure to add some sort of light or revolving beacon on the tractor and have a chase vehicle with flashing lights follow you. Wearing an orange reflective vest over your outer jacket is also a good idea.

Happy Plowing

11. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

SLPlow:
    that cab broke.. may make another... i don't know.... i am just doing the neighbors and mine driveway, so it won't be a big deal about the light..
    Plowjockey:I have already cut down tire chains froma car to fit.. they'd work with the neighbors gravel drive, but for my blacktop drive.. well, i don't want to mar it...
    Thanks all....
    Eric