1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

garbage day

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by k brown, Feb 18, 2006.

1. k brown

k brown Junior Member
    from ontario

why does it always seem to snow on garbage day?
    what do you guys do with recycling boxes and errant garbage in the ends of the driveway?you can`t just plow it,but who want`s to pick up garbage and boxes on every drive?
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I have it in my contract that says I will plow around none permanent (IE cars and garbage cans) objects. If it requires a callback, I MAY charge extra. Depending on the customer, I either carefully push the can back or if they are elderly I'll get out and move it. But if they are capable and lazy I plow around and wait for a call.

One time a couple years ago I was driving with traffic down a snow covered street, cars all around me no where to go and a 96gal toter fell into the road just ahead of me, needless to say that sucker went flying into the neighbors yard:eek:
  3. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I just plow around the cans and recycling the best I can. I used to move everything but no more, what a pain.
  4. martyman

martyman Senior Member

ROLF I said the same thing to my wife the other day ;) I've destroyed a few "Blue boxes" and sent Sent some Rubbermaid garbage cans flying.
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If the driveway is wide, I go around. If not, or if its in the middle, I drag my ass out of the truck and move them. Not losing a customer over 10-15 seconds worth of work.
  6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Here's a good one....only happened on one street. Got a good amount of snow last year. We got called late and by 6:30 a.m. I had yet to widen some of my side streets. When we plow larger snowfalls the practice it to go one down & back down every street to get traffic moving. Then start route over and widen street all the way. Well it was garbage day and most people drug their cans to where I had plowed....about 5 feet into road. I waited for garbage man to come and the pop, pop, pop, one by one I got the whole street. I wasn't going to move them all and I wasn't going to leave the street unplowed.:D
  7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I move barrels if they happen to be in my way. I would never plow one it, it might not be found until spring if we happen to get alot of snow. Then the customer is upset about having to dig out the barrel. It always seems to snow on trash day and it always seems to be windy on trash day, yesterday I ended up with about five peoples trash barrels sitting on my lawn.
  8. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

When I saw this title, I just knew it was someone from Ontario and probably in my area. My last plow was on garbage day.

I personally bring the empty boxes back up to the customers door. Its a nice touch and some of my female customers appreciate a "nice touch".
  9. k brown

k brown Junior Member
    from ontario

yeah that`s what i do to, i guess there`s not a whole lot you can do.....
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It does get old when you plow a condo complex with 120 drives. Then 110 have placed the trash cans and bags dead center of the drive! Or on the side walk so that crew has to move them too!
  11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think it might take longer to try and plow around the damn thing. Get out and toss it on the front lawn. You can't be that lazy can you. It is usually at the end of the driveway and that is where the snow has to go.
  12. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

For our condo complex it has a friday pickup which just happens to have been when we have alot of snowfalls. We just come back later to do the sidewalks which are right beside the road. It is annoying, but there is no way that we are going to move all of them back.

13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I did get out and move 10 drives at a time of trash. Then plow those drives.
    The truck liked it because it got to charge up and cool down when I was doing it. The contractor didn't, he got dinged for another hour of time for the trash moving.
  14. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I do the same thing... they do appreciate it when the see you do it, I have done rolling basketball hops and Christmas trees too!