1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Garages

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Oct 4, 2000.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would like to know what kind of equipment storage every one has.Also if you have a great place do you have any pics of it?

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Pre Fab metal buildings, and Wood Construction.

Pre Fab metal, Cheap, Big, and set up quick. Hard to do much inside with out spending some big bucks.

Geoff

3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Equipment Storage.... Whats That???? trucks are outside. Someday I hope to have indoor storage

4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

5. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We rent a 4,500sq ft. garage. It is part of an old factory complex that went out of business. We are able to keep all of my summer and winter equipment inside. All snow plows, sanders and trailers inside. In the winter I put the trailers outside and I am able to fit 2 one-tons with 9'plows, 1 pickup with 8' plow, 1 toyota with 6 1/2' plow and our F-800 sand truck inside. We are pretty lucky we have this shop, it is in a central location for all of our accounts and we also have outside storage for mulch and sand/salt.

6. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

We have three buildings two are on the out skirts of town and are our main construction equipment area, then we have another in the middle of town we use for our sweepers little bit of lawn care and winter break downs.We make an effort to put all the diesel equipment inside on snow nights minus the three macks dumps and then fit in what ever gas equipment that seems to be particuarly hard to start that year,all are heated.

7. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

1 - 13,000 sq. ft. concrete block building.
    1 - 2500 sq. ft. mechanics building
    1 - 7,000 sq. ft. butler building
    1 - 4,000 sq. ft. office building
    9.5 acres of land
    Center of town

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

All the trucks loaded with sand and salt get inside the night of a storm. Then we fit in the two shovel crew trucks, with the snowblowers and stuff. After that its what ever we can fit. Only all my employees with company trucks take them home at night. Equipment operators take a 2wd truck loaded with something heavy, to their piece of equipment. I have a 2wd ford ranger sitting in the shop, with boster packs, and some big charged up batteries, and jumper cables. In the event a piece of equipment doesn't start. All of our equipment is stored on site, most of it is plugged in all winter long.

If its not going to snow, things are left outside a little more. Only the less you have to scrape, and clear snow from the better.

Geoff

9. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

We utilize 1 building w/ a 2 bay shop where we store the skid steer loaders and de-icer material. The other area is a 1 acre fenced yard where we park all of our other vehicles/equipment and stockpile sand. A friend owns the property, so rent is very cheap; the drawbacks are it's in the ghetto in the central part of town and most of our jobs are on the west side. Luckily, my friend is going to put up a huge metal pole building where the fence yard currently is, so then we'll have everything inside.

10. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

We have 1 7800 square ft building we can store 600 tons of salt,2 loaders and 3 trucks the rest of our snow equipment stays outside.When i bought this building from the city of Poughkeepsie 3 years ago i thought i would never use the whole thing and now i have run out of room.We are very lucky to have this building and we use every available inch of it.It is a 1950s butler building

11. Matt

Matt Member

We are currently in the process of putting up a 30 x 60 greenhouse for storage. They are not very efficient to heat in the winter and we are not going to try, but they will keep all equipment free of snow so now cleaning and scraping . They would also be a fairly inexpensive salt storagefacility. They cost a lot less then a stick type structure and in this area not being permanent means no tax. May be different in other areas.

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Matt what type of green house are you putting up,well i mean where can you get one and how much do they cost ,are they like the plastic poly sheets or hard corrogated plastic?would be interested in that type of building for equipment storage but can you get an opening of like 12x12 to fit a machine in with out getting one that is very big for i'm space limeted right now?

13. Matt

Matt Member

cat320
    The green house that we are putting up is double plastic over galvinived tubing and bracing. You get a pad leveled off, install your ground stakes then you put up your hoops with the ridge support at the top. There are some other braces to put on after you get the hoops up but they are all predrilled and just a matter of assembly. There is a pressure treated 2x6 run down both sides of hoops at ground level wich is what you mount the plastic retainer clips/bars to. The ends are easily enclosed with a couple 4x4 perlins and sheating. The door opening can be approx. 10' high and as wide as you want it(to a degree) you have to stay inside of the curves of the hoops. The cost that we are looking at for total is about 3700, this includes the entire greenhouse , support system, plastic, inflation fan and closing in the ends. The amount of fill needed will depend on your site. Doubt that anyone out there can put up stick for this price.
    We purchase our's from BGF suppliers, I have seen them in Tek Supply and other catalogs, look for ones in your are talk to owners and who ther suppliers are.