1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Garage Exhaust Duct - Hose

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by joshg, Jan 13, 2011.

1. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

Are any of you using a duct to vent exhaust during idling/repair of your vehicles inside youre garage?

I've been meaning to get a hose and just looked some up online. The purpose built ones seem expensive, perhaps because they make them crushproof for shops and out of certain materials.

What are you using?

I looked at JCWhitney, Mcmaster Carr, and some other online sources.

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...4A69-9C0B-D99355410272}/catid./qx/Product.htm

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I've thought about using dryer vent hose but I'm not sure if it would work?

3. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

we never used them in mine and my fathers repair shops, we just cracked the door a little...

the best thing would be cheap-o flex muffler pipe, that is about all it is anyway, or at least what it used to be.
    you can add adapters to it for different size tail pipes, cut a hole in the door ad an adapter that stays on wiht a flap to close it off and just slide it on..

A dryer hose (metal ones) would work for a while, but would burn up after time I would think, but its like 4-5 inches in diameter, so you would have to reduce it down, unless your tail pipe is that big...

or you can crack the door, if you realy want to get the exhaust out, then put a cage fan (like in a furnace) by the tail pipe and point it tward the crack in the door....

4. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I hang a dryer hose from the ceiling (12ft) and vent it out the side of the garage for my diesel tractor. I just use a string and pull it up when I am not using it. It has lasted for a few years now works good. The diesel is so messy on initial start up and this helps alot.

5. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

that is a pretty good idea...