1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Garage door scratch

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by GimmeSnow!!, Mar 6, 2016.

1. GimmeSnow!!

GimmeSnow!! Senior Member

I got an email from a customer Thursday that one of my drivers hit his garage door. I spoke with the driver and he swears he didn't hit anything. I sent my foreman out to look at it on Friday. He said that he thinks it was us but the dent isn't even visible more than three feet away (very small) the paint was scraped a little so he figured a little touch up paint and we're good to go. The homeowner emailed us a quote to replace the bottom two panels of the door from a garage door company. The quote is $750. On one hand there is a small dent in the door, that you could maybe see,if you are looking for it, and you are less than 5 ft away. On the other, I feel that if the customers son did it he would throw a little touch up paint on the door and continue with life but since it's our money he's spending he has no problem buying brand new and charging it to us. Would it be acceptable to offer to either pay for half of the new door or paint the door at our cost? I think that would make him think twice about buying brand new.

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

If you want you business reputation to be a positive one and stay intact, I would pay for the door and call it a day. If you guys did hit it, then its on you. Bad news spreads faster and farther than good news. Best thing you could do is get it over with as fast as possible

3. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

I get real sick and tired of this stuff because I've been accused of hitting doors and breaking glass multiple multiple multiple times when we hadn't even serviced a property yet. I'm not a donkey to pin the tail on, I'm not your homeowners insurance policy. I'm not shelling out 750 bucks for something we didn't do. Who says that dent hasn't been there for years and was just noticed? Who says the kids bike didn't do it? So just because they say you did it you have to pay?

I don't like this mentality. I also need to come up with a solution because I've had enough of it.

4. newhere

from Fenton

Does it line up with the level of a plow or hitch or mirror?

5. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

What are you plowing with ? Hard to believe only a dent that small if your guy hit the door .

6. GimmeSnow!!

7. newhere

from Fenton

Are we looking at the bottom white scratch or the top dent? Are they both being blamed on you or just the bottom?

8. newhere

from Fenton

I count 4 dents

9. GimmeSnow!!

10. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Replace it yourself. It's a simple job. Couple wrenches and a screwdriver. It looks like you are going to need to paint the new panels too.

11. GimmeSnow!!

hes saying that the bottom two panels have to be replaced. I don't understand how the dents could have come from the plow. The scratch maybe and the tiny dent at the top of the left scratch. That's why I said we should just paint it.

12. newhere

from Fenton

I don't understand what the big dent on the top panel came from?

Or the dent on the top of the lower panel that isn't scratched

13. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Just saw the new pic. It looks like the two lower scratches could have been caused by the plow as you approach to backdrag. Upper dents are suspect and they may be looking for you to foot the bill on both panels. If you are concerned about the money then set up an appointment and bring the truck and go over all possible scenarios with the client. I'm a firm believer that speaking directly is always the best policy. Be honest. Speak candidly, etc. Get it done and over with now before you get busy during the spring.

14. GimmeSnow!!

Just looked up the address on google and this is the streetview.
    [​IMG]

15. newhere

from Fenton

No way. I don't even believe that. !!!!!!!!

This is exactly why I get so hot about it.

You lucky son of a ......... !!!!!!!!!!

Drop him now.

16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Check the date on the street view. People make mistakes. People always look for damage whenever a contractor leaves

17. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I figured we were talking about a crease or something in the door, a real dent. Those just look like whisky dents.

I retract my statement especially after seeing the google earth photo, OP I would paint it or tell them to pound sand.

18. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Are we concluding that the large scrape was already there? Kind of looks it from the street view. Also there is zero % chance that you caused the upper 2 dents. Unless your back bumper hit it??? I'm getting upset for you just like Picasso/newhere! Keep us posted how this turns out!

19. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

I put a tiny hole in one during blizzard .. Those doors are such crap.. I would paint that and thats it

20. newhere

from Fenton

I wouldn't even paint it. You didn't do it.