1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Galvanizing Plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Flipper, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Anyone ever done it? I am refacing a plow this summer and was thinking about having it dipped after blasting and welding. Just the raw moldboard. The paint it, bolt springs etc back in place. Should help prevent rust through again.

I don't know cost or a place to have it done in CT yet, Anyone have any negatives to doing this?
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I'm pretty sure it won't last. I've had extensive experience with galvanized marine hardware....if it won't stand up to it, I hardly think it would last on a plow. Neat thought though.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Galvanizing would make future welding repairs very hazardous
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Interesting idea, but like they all said above, not going to hold up.
  6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The zinc oxide thing about welding galv is bunk- google it. Popular myth that keeps getting perpetuated.

As far as doing it to a plow- makes painting much harder I would think since it has to be pickled before paint will stick. I would think a re powder coating would be a better option.
  8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

This is a great point unless you don't mind having a pounding headache and being nauseous for a good 8 hours. Ive welded galvanized before and never will again.
  9. LON

LON Senior Member

Hot dip galvanizing would probably end up twisting your plow. I know a guy who was talked into getting his dump body done this way and he had a heck of a time getting it back on the subframe. When he did get it on it set up about 4" off the subframe on one front corner.