1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Galvanized trailers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by SHAWZER, Mar 29, 2013.

1. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Galvanized equipment and car trailers, are they worth the extra money ?

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Depends how much extra, whether or not you mind painting and if you're going to do any mods after purchase. I like my galv tilt deck, it's not as shiny as new but I don't have to paint it to cover up rust and make it look good..

3. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Most galvanized trailers I have looked at are tube frame. Always heard they still rust from the inside out.

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I made a quick purchase of a 2500Hd with an aluminum flatbed that turned out to be galvanized:nono:. It had tube crossmembers which were starting their decay and showed general signs of corrosion. I had the tubes cut out and C channels replacements welded in. Then to the sandblaster and finally coated with Por 15 and a Topcoat. Salt will still eat up a trailer and I do not have a clue on why they build them with tubes. Terrible idea.