1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gallons per hour idling question.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by comeeonn, Jan 23, 2012.

1. comeeonn

comeeonn Senior Member

hey guys, first off, i love idling.

the duramax uses between .4 and .6 gal per hr

my question is... what will the 8.1 use?
    tried researching it but i dont think many people are crazy enough to even think about letting an 8.1 idle.

the duramax idles a ton (117k and pushing 8,000 hours now) but the 8.1 ill try to keep it off. however i cant promise that it wont get forgotten about and sit idle for a few hrs here and there.

more or less just seeing what numbers you guys have in your heads, i know its probably well over 1 gph, just wondering how much over. payup

lets see what you got!
  2. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

"I love idling"

There is no shame in idling for a reason. Semi truck keeping the driver warm or cool while hes sleeping.

Way below 0 temps that will cause starting issues etc.

But just idling for the sake of loving to idle is like admitting that you like to just throw your $$$$$ out the window and completely waste them.
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It begs the question--why do you love idling?I sometimes do it also on my Dmax but when there's no good reason,absolutely not.Besides wasting fuel,if you didn't know it already,extended idling in a diesel dilutes your engine oil over time.Nothing to love there.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have a rule when my trucks are out doing snow service.

When the truck or machine leaves the shop, it does not shut off until we are completely done plowing snow. If we stop for dinner, the truck stays idle.

I don't want the chance of smothing not starting again. Fuel is cheap compaired to laying in snow trying to figure out why it wont start.
  5. comeeonn

comeeonn Senior Member

I know everything about what idling does to a motor, and i know its 0mpg, this isnt my first rodeo. I love idling for many reasons, some if which you guys may think are stupid, but its my engines and my fuel money so i dont see a problem. I could care less about mother nature too so please dont bring it up. Some people love hockey or football, i love idling. As i type this my mack has been outside for 3 hrs now idling bc i moved it out of the shop this morning, ill get to it in the next hr or so. Back to the question at hand! Gallons per hr! Go!
  6. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Since you love throwing money away like that I'm going to PM you the account number and deposit routing numbers.
    Any time you feel the need to just completely throw your money away you can just send it to me.
    I'll put it to a good use.
  7. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

Seems like you answered your question!..

I'd prolly shut the gas job down. Regardless, it doesn't seem like your someone that lacks on maintenance of your equipment, so your rigs are more then likely to start no matter what.
  8. comeeonn

comeeonn Senior Member

Its not the fact of not starting, chevys always start! I just feel as if motors were meant to run so let them run, im going to find out how much it uses one way or another lol i was just looking for ideas, and yes maintance is my number one thing.
  9. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

X2. I also say do not take it out of 4x4 at all if you engage it.

I am an idler also, do not know why but I love it also. I think it is a Duramax thing as we get no heat whatsoever unless they are working. Like you, I just purchased a 454 gas plow truck to let my Duramax "retire" and wow do I put the gas in this SOB.
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Wait, some of you guys are suggest I shut my truck off when not in use? That's an odd concept. :D
  11. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I dont have the answer to the OP original question about the 8.1 but agree with this 100%. A guy I worked for a few years back always left his truck running durning snow storms. It drove me crazy. He said you never shut a working truck off. This is advice I should have remembered. Last year during a snow event I shut the big block truck off to do some skid work quick...hoped back in the truck and it didnt even click. Turns out the started solenoid went to crap.

Now if a truck is making money it does't get shut off until it punches out.

I do have a way to figure out how much an 8.1 uses though. Go fill it up at the nearest station, note the time, let it idle until it runs out of fuel. ;)
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

The danger of a truck not starting is about equal to the danger of harm coming to it while it's running unattended. I personally would rather need to jumpstart it if for some reason it wouldn't start (which it will because I try to keep my work trucks in proper operating condition), than I would come out to find that while it was idling it sprung a coolant leak, or the water pump died, and it overheated and blew the motor. Or it sprung a fuel leak or wiring got hot and it caught fire. Or somebody stole it.

I can't really think of a good reason to leave an unattended truck running, and I don't think "I love idling" is a good reason. If you are working it, and are concerned that your electric plow and lighting has weakened your battery, sure, but it only takes about 20 minutes for a functioning alternator to restore a good battery. I always idle a truck for a few minutes to warm it up before driving, and when I had a diesel I would idle it a few minutes after working it too. I am not particularly concerned about my trucks polluting the environment, but I also wouldn't go so far as to say I don't care about mother nature, it just doesnt sound good.

No, I have no idea how much fuel an 8.1 uses at idle, because I wouldn't idle one for an hour. You are certainly welcome to, it's your truck, your fuel, your water pump, etc. But I don't think you should expect to be able to come on here and say something that so many people are likely to disagree with, and then tell them not to argue with you and just answer the question.
  13. comeeonn

comeeonn Senior Member

People can argue all they want, just like i can idle all i want. If it blows up idling ill put a motor in it, simple as that. My question had nothing to do with asking for peoples opinions on idling or the pros and cons of it. I am also not concerned with "sounding good" with my views. I frankly dont care about the enviroment, and if that offends people thats too bad. I wont be here long enough to see the ill effects of idling if there are even any. If this thread offended you why did you comment? Some people believe in shutting them off some believe in letting them run. My question was for the second group of people.
  14. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Suuuuuuuuuuure they do.

If that was the case you wouldn't be so worried about it. :nod:

15. Detroitdan

just wondering if you read the last line of my comment
  16. comeeonn

comeeonn Senior Member

Yes i did but with those people likely to disagree are people who so agree, im just saying that i asked a question, i didnt post " tell me how you feel about idling"
  17. comeeonn

comeeonn Senior Member

I smell a ford or dodge owner! Lol. But seriously worrying about it starting is not on my list of why i idle
  18. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I have a ford so I don't have to worry about starting issues.

Unlike you chebie and dodge boys.
  19. comeeonn

comeeonn Senior Member

I knew it! Lol
  20. Detroitdan

I will never understand why Dodge and Ford guys come into the Chevy forum, looking for any opportunity to make a negative comment about Chevys. I am hardcore, diehard Chevy, I bleed Chevy orange, and I despise Ford and Dodge equally, yet I have never felt the urge to go to their area and pick on them.

Comeeonn, all I was trying to say is that people are going to comment how they see fit, it's a pretty public forum and these threads tend to take off in various directions. What you posted seems to me anyway, to be something people are going to disagree with. Which is why I, and almost everyone else who commented, talked about the idling, rather than the gph of an 8.1. Not trying to pick a fight with you, but it's the internet and it's a forum. If it makes you feel better I will try to do some research and find out for you what the average gph of an 8.1 is.