1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gallon per lane mile for CaCl?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mike_dmt, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mike_dmt

mike_dmt Member

A local liquid de-ice supllier here switched to CaCl this year. They gave me an app rate of 30-40 gallons per lane mile, 16' wide.. Thats 84480 sq. ft, or just under 2 acres.. Does this sound right? Arent most of you putting down around 40 galls PER acre for a pre wet treatment?

Also said the freezing point is around -26f..

2. mike_dmt

mike_dmt Member

Really? No one?

3. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

APPLICATION
    • Prewetting: apply at spreader outlet at a rate of 1.25 gallons per 100 lbs of solid deicer (130g/kg)
    • Deicing:
    Commercial = 1-3 gallons/1000ft2 (50-150 g/m2) Highway = 60-180 gallons/lane mile (50-150g/m2)
    • Anti-icing:
    Commercial = 0.5 gallons/1000ft2 (25-50 g/m2) Highway = 25-60 gallons/lane mile (25-50g/m2)
    • Re-apply when new snow/ice accumulation shows first tendency to bond
    • Plow promptly to reduce fluid dilution

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If you figure the lane at 10' width you are a lot closer to an acre per lane.

5. mike_dmt

mike_dmt Member

Gotcha. Are there any advantages to CaCl over MagCl besides the freeze point?

6. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

Have you tried looking at www.magicsalt.info. This de-icer works better than anyting we have ever used pre treat 30 gallons per 50,000 sq ft. Take a look.ussmileyflag

7. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

?????? 30 gal. acre wow find that hard to belive.

8. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Our ICE-BAN application rate is 35-37 gal an acre for pre application

9. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

Not bustin balls over here but it just seems a little light

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It's because it's MAGIC, Mike.

Besides, when it's as spendy as Magic, you want to go light.

11. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

LOL your right Mark. still think for the money ours is better (thats just my opt. but im kinda partial) lol

12. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Light, the application rate is not light it's efficient. It is the right amount of product to do the job it is needed to do. I don't use brine so I don't know application rate on that. As far as it being "magic" it can be called what ever you want, it works, I use it, it has made me good money, it has expanded my business, and always given great results. I would love to sit down and compare notes with a contractor who uses brine and just see exactly how my ICE-BAN system compares to a well brine system. Apples to apples I would truly be curious to compare.

13. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

kpmsnow give us a ring 1 877 34Brine Thanks Mike

14. mike_dmt

mike_dmt Member

Whats the app rate for your product, per acre?

15. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

Depends on what your trying to do anti-ice/snow on parking lot around 50 or 60 De-icing 100 125 per acre, what you have to understand is that all liquids work better as a pre-treat. With that being said if your going to use on road ways we do not advise to use more that 30-40 gal lane mile. Any time you put a liquid down the surface of the road will become slicker than dry pavement. Even plane water increses the chance of skidding. There are no tests for anti skidding with our product. There for put the min. amount of product down first and re-apply if needed.

16. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Being new to liquids what kinda notes should I be taking so I can campare other products? My local supplier sold me on a certain product but I willing to try something else.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  17. mike_dmt

mike_dmt Member

Interesting, the app rate for the product line I can lay my hands on is recommended at 35-40 for deicing. And by that I mean a mostly clear lot, and just laying down product to keep the water from freezing. The app rate for pretreating and post plowing varies of course. But the guys I'm talking to that have experience with it say no more than 55-60 gpa in those situations. I'm not trying to put one product over another, to be sure. I'm just interested in what else is available.

18. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

The better the notes the more you can fine tune your process. Ground temp, moisture level of the surface, time of app, time of snow arrival, wind speed, wind direction, air temp, solar presence during or after application, amount of accumulation, moisture level of accumulation, rate of accumulation, result observations before and after plowing if plowing was nesissary. Only you know how deep you feel you need to go. Hope this helps, I have more that we do if you are interested pm me

19. Born2Push

Born2Push Junior Member

kpm - i'm interested in how you programmatically capture all those data points for a particular site during the application process, especially the things like ground temp vs. air temp, moisture level of the surface and the snow, etc....

20. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

My self and 2 of my most trusted subs do all the primary spraying. All the notes are logged into palm pilots in a type of spread sheet format and downloaded onto my computer for referencing later. I outfitted our trucks with ground temp sensors and we also carry laser thermometers in the truck "just in case we get a crazy reading from the truck sensors", Unfortunately the moisture levels on the surface and of the snow accumulation is still more or less an observation. We break them down in 4 levels ranging from dry to heavily saturated. It's not perfect but it works for us. I am working with a mobile electronics company to develop a system that will do a lot of these thing automatically and translate the info into a "recommended" application rate. It will also do some other really cool things but i won't disclose them at this time. I hope to have a prototype of one in my truck yet this year to play with, but we'll see how that go's.