1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FYI: Results from a trip to the scales.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by aeronutt, Jan 30, 2009.

1. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Since front-end overloading has been a popular subject lately, I decided to actually weigh mine. I was a little bit surprised at the results. I knew I was technically overloaded, but this... :eek: All weights are with approximately 500 lbs of concrete stacked at the rear of the bed on my '06 Ext Cab, Long bed D-max with 1/2 tank of fuel and just me in the truck.

With Plow:
    ---- Front: 5380
    ---- Rear: 3170
    ---- Total: 8500 (obviously some inaccuracy on the scales... )

Without Plow:
    ---- Front: 4280
    ---- Rear: 3480
    ---- Total: 7750 (closer...)

So, the geometry of hanging a 750 lb plow out front on a long wheelbase vehicle adds 1100 lbs to the front axle. I am still 700 lbs under GVW rating and the truck felt light in the back so I'm going to stack some more concrete against the tailgate. There's no way I'll unweight the front enough to get back down to 4670, but it will help. Sure glad to have the Timbrens up there!
  2. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I don't know what my weight is front to back but when I am loaded with spreader + matierial and plow I weigh in around 10,400 pounds sound like your doing good.
  3. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I keep a skid of salt back there as ballast, and it only reduces the front end by about 200 pounds. Our numbers are almost identical, same truck but short bed.
  4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I use to have a hitch platform that slides in the trailer hitch and I would load that with 500lbs of sand bags. This worked better at unloading the front end as it was further away from the axle centerline like the plow is.
    My main reason for trying it was I needed the bed open for snow blowers and the ramps
  5. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Junior Member

What is the rating of your front axle. Door tag should tell you. They weigh us on each axle and then total up here. They go by the sticker and not what insurance has been rated. If we are over on one of the 3 then kiss the plow good-bye.
  6. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Door sticker for front GAWR: 4670, rear GAWR: 6084. Just like all the other non-plow prep Chevy trucks. Whether I had 4670 or 4800, either way I'm not likely to remove 700 lbs off the front even with 1000 lbs of ballast hanging off the trailer hitch since I've already got 500 lbs stacked against the tailgate. Lucky for me, I'm not tymusic! I've never heard of a pickup being weighed for overweight snowplows in Nebraska EVER. :drinkup:

My concern is not for what is legal so much as what is safe. I've added Timbrens to help carry the weight and went one size bigger on tires so I've got 6830 lbs worth of tire capacity on each axle. The rear axle is the same one they make duallies out of, so I've got plenty of safety margin there even if I use 2 tons of ballast. The tradeoff there of course is I'd be 3000 lbs over the total vehicle GVW rating so the brakes start to be a concern.

I like Joe D's idea for maximizing leverage by using the trailer hitch to hang weight. I've actually been considering this for some time, I just haven't thought of a good way to do it that won't break my back loading it or stick out too far to cause a hazard. Hitch platforms add too much length. I was considering a bar to mount tractor weights or something like that... If I do that and add weight up until I hit the 9200 lb GVWR of the truck I'd probably still be 300 lbs overweight on the front axle, but the truck would be much closer to legal than it is now. I guess the bottom line is that I'm just not concerned enough about LEOs to stop using the truck for snowplowing because it does such a great job at it and I've never seen anybody in this area get busted.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I'm pulling this old thread up with an update just for historical archiving purposes. I just got back from a trip to the scales with my new tractor weight ballast installed. These weights are with full tank of fuel, me in the truck, 600 lbs of tractor suitcase weights hanging off the receiver hitch, and nothing in the bed. By using the tractor weights, I've managed to remove another 200 lbs from the front axle while adding almost nothing to the back axle. The original weigh above was with 1/2 tank of fuel, this one was with full fuel and I still lightened the front end by 200...

Front Axle: 5160
    Rear Axle: 3420
    Total weight: 8580

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  8. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Interesting how the leverage works on that..

Your over on dp right?? Setup looks familiar.
  9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Where did you get that tractor weight set up? Looks good.
  10. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

That thing will do some damage backing into something or if someone hits you!
  11. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Too bad that won't work for us that have salt spreaders...
  12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

LOL, were not the ones having problems with being overweight.... I cant belive how worried all you american guys are at being overweight... Lucky for me Im not ussmileyflag
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:confused::confused:you don't think the weight of the spreader won't have the same effect?
  14. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Well, seeing how my spreader only weighs 110lb, and the fact that I don't drive from site to site with any salt in there, no.

Why are there so many people on here at 7am on xmas eve??? Merry Christmas!
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A pallet of salt by the tailgate will have the same effect.
  16. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Yes, the salt will have the same effect, but the spreader won't. I love having a skid of salt back there for the ballast, but I hate using it.
  17. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

X2, leaves the bed clean
  18. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Matt, I bought the tractor weights off of Craigslist and spent an hour or two with my drill press and welder fabricating the mount. When the Big Thaw happens, I'm going to pull it all apart again to sandblast and paint it properly. It's rusting badly right now with all the salt that gets splashed up there. It doesn't help that I didn't even shoot rattle-can paint on it when I built it. :eek: I'll post up some better pics showing how the mount is constructed when I have it all clean and pretty.
  19. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

I will have to keep an eye out for those. i found a receiver mount for those weights but most places want a $1.00 or more per pound so 500 lbs would be pretty spendy to free up the bed space.