1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FYI on Grotes Flood lights..

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 20Silverado05, Dec 28, 2009.

1. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

So right before my last storm one of my flood lights that I added to my backrack last season was not working unfortunately I didnt have time to figure it out and it wasnt a big deal since the other one was working and gives off plenty of light as is. But today I got to it and took it off my truck .First thing I did was did an ohm check and it read OL which means basically blown light. So I took apart the light and found that the end of the power wire to the bulb had shorted to ground because the wire got pulled and bent towards the bulb and went to ground before the load. So just an FYI to let extra room for the wire to move as the light gets tilted so many times. Here are some pics. Sorry if it was a waste of your time to read this but I'm really bored right now.
    [​IMG]
    Allow extra wire for power wire because it pulls out of grommet and bends easy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Good to know, I usually always try to leave a few extra inches of slack on any wiring I do.

3. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I had an off road light do the same thing in high school but cause on fire lol.

4. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

Im thinking about trying these lights, I can't see behind me worth dick. I have these 2 crappy little lights on my salter that are equivalent to shining 2 cheap flashlights at the ground.
    Would I need 2 of these? If you don't mind me asking, what do they run, and where'd you get them?

5. 20Silverado05

The two i have on my backrack are really bright. inside is a H3 55watt bulb i will post some pics of how bright they are . I paid $18 a light at fredrickson bros a town near me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 20Silverado05

So I added two more lights under my bumper very happy with how muchican see now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Well, again, you get what you pay for. A well made light would have a strain relief to prevent the wires from getting pulled out.

8. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Talk about bright :nod: