1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Future in Plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pipdipchip, Dec 11, 2004.

1. pipdipchip

pipdipchip Junior Member

Hey. I'm 16 years old. I was wondering if plowing is a good thing to get into. For some reason, I've always loved snow removal, plows etc. Although I live in a metro area now. I grew up in rural Minnesota during some of the worst winters on record. People think I'm crazy when I tell I shovel snow for fun. My extended family owns a tiling company which does snow removal during the winter and I've always loved to get behind the wheel when I could. I'm currently getting my CCNA (Computer Networking). Which is about a million miles away from snow removal. But, I was just wondering what you thought. Thanks.
  2. GreatPlains

GreatPlains Junior Member

Do both. What are you going to do the 8 months or so it doesn't snow? Finish your training, find work in networks or related things, get established and then do the plowing. Or do plowing on the side. Get a job doing networks and then, when you can afford it, buy a decent truck and plow. Start plowing with small contracts

Or establish yourself in landscape, lawncare, or other diciplines that will keep you employed the other 8 months when you're not plowing.

You're young - keep studying. Learn valuable skills that will take you farther than just plowing. Not that plowing is a dead end but the more diversified you are the better off you'll be to support yourself.

And have fun doing it....
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, plowing is a good thing to get into. Iam 16 and plow residential on a high school students schedule. It takes commitment, but i find it very enjoyable. Residential is alot less stressful then commerical IMO. There is alot to consider though, truck maintnance, insurence that stuff. Plows are not exactly cheap, neither are the trucks to put them on. You want something that is going to be reliable. Its good to have a sub as well in case somthing should come up, you may have that covered with family members that do snow removal if they are close by.
  4. pipdipchip

pipdipchip Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, maybe I could just do both. I'm worried that once I get a networking job I'll make enough and I won't care about plowing. :p
  5. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

don't worry

If you enjoy the computer stuff, it doesn't make sense for you to be "worried" that you'll make too much money and won't care to plow. If only we could all have those worries.

Myself, I'm a financial advisor. I cut grass and do snow on the side. I enjoy working outside and battling nature so to speak. The key is that my job allows me to make my own schedule. So, I can take a day off to do snow whenever I need to. If you have that flexibility, do both! I love the fact that I can put a suit and tie on one day and and help people with their finances. The next day I'm wearing carharts and pushing snow in the middle of the night! The change up is better than sitting in an office 5 days a week!

Do what you enjoy most, even if that's both. But don't worry about "making too much money" such a thing doesn't exist!