1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JimACM, Dec 9, 2011.

1. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

I have been looking at the owners manual and printed material on westerns site and have a question about fuses
    They say the 7.5 is for straight blade control control and the 15 is for park / turn
    and these are mentioned in the owners manual troubleshooting section
    There are also two 10 amp mini fuses that the manual says are snowplow park /turn and snowplow control that are shown in a diagram but not mentioned in the troubleshooting guide. The 7.5 and 15 seem to be protecting the same things as the two 10 amp fuses
    Can someone please explain what the 10's are protecting and what area you look at if a 10 blows ?
    This is a new pro plow series 2 with the 3 port module on a 2004 slverado. I am putting together stuff i may need that does not come with the western emergency kit/bag

Are there any other fuses other that 7.5 10 and 15 amp? are there any inline glass fuses ?
    Thanks for any help, Jim
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

On your system there is a wire at the hot side of the main motor relay that feeds the two fuses you are talking about. This wire is hot all the time and is a common problem for corroding. If the 7.5 blows your controller will not light up or work in any way. Just as if the plow was not plugged in. The 10 amp fuse is as you said for the plow turn and park lights. There are no other fuses on your system except for whatever fuse the ignition signal wire is connected to. This ignition wire is a red wire that comes off the control harness a few feet back from the controller plug in the cab. I usually plug it into an auxilury port under the dash on the left side of the steering column. This is feed by some fuse in the fuse box but I never know which one until it blows. My concern, as an installer, is to find an ignition signal so I don't worry too much about what I tie into. If a customer really wants to know what fuse it is I just ground out that wire and deliberatly blow the fuse. Then I trace it down, replace it and record which fuse it was. You too should have some sort of fuse for this ignition wire but you will have to find it yourself as there is no standard place to connect. There are no fuses on your plow, the MVP plus, the HTS and the Wide-out have several fuses on board the plow but not your straight blade (unless it is one of the very new multiplex versions with the two plug system). So there are no glass fuses or anything else to worry about in the fuse department unless your installer did something custom.

I too have the emergency parts bag from Western for my Wide-out. But I added a few tools and a miner's type flashlight to wear on my head while I am working. No good to have parts & tools when you can't see what you are working on. I also carry a cheapo test light because most troubles are electrical. A funnel to add fluid is good too. Your plow is pretty easy to fill but my Wide-out needs a special zig zag funnel adapter to overcome Western's bright idea of putting the filler under the top pan of the headlight tower. They give you hoses and fluid but you can't get the fluid in without a funnel.
  3. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

Thank you very much for the help ! I am just trying to get ready for the snow and was having some trouble . The installer did not leave the fuse areas out in the open and i was worried about what was hidden. I bought a 3/4 9/16 and 1/2 wrench and an adjustable and pliers and also one gallon of western fluid to add to the emergency bag and the 7.5 10 and 15 fuses so i am ready ! The funnel is a great idea too i will get one for the bag .
    I think i will find some spare bulbs for the lights next.
    I think it would be a great idea to list the replaceable parts in the owners manual but they must not think so ..
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The hoses are 3/4 but the fittings that attach the hose to rams & valve body require 11/16 so get one of those wrenches too. I carry an adjustable wrench and a vice grip too. Headlights are H13 (if you have the big Nighthawks) To change a headlight bulb you need a Torx screw driver, can't remember the size but I think it is T15 or T20