1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuse Panel

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Pristine PM ltd, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Hi guys,

We are having problems with the way the installers are attacting the power to the fuse panel. They are putting it on the same fuse as our front right headlight, and it is blowing the fuse. This happened last year, and we replaced the fuse, and it didn't blow it again. We just took them in for a service last week and we asked the guy to take a look at it. He did something and two days later, no headlight. I know it is the fuse because both the blizzard and ford light don't work. I also know this must be more common then the installer made me believe because it has happened to two of our similar model trucks.

Any ideas? How is your power connected in? I would have thought a seperate fuse would be in order... but it may not be possible.
  2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Do yourself a favor. Get a mini fuse tap, and move the location of the fuse. Fords have a spare that I usually use, check your owners manual for location. It must have power only when the key is in the run or on position. The mini fuse tap plugs into the spot where your fuse is, and has 2 fuses piggybacked onto it, one to protrect the original circuit, the other to power up the new. It will have a 6" pigtail you can then run the power to your controler wire. Now you will have a 10 amp for controler, and if it blows, it won't blow the original circuit. If it's hooked into the headlight fuse, I believe your controller will have juice all the time. That is a NO-NO, because if you forget to flip the power switch on your contrroller, it will burn up your down coil when you lower the plow and shut off your truck (if it goes into float mode) JOHN
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

use a fuse tap to the cold side ignition on at least a 20 amp circuit
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Move the tap to the other leg of the fuse.

One side is before the fuse the other is after. If you attach the tap on oneside/ leg you add a load to the existing fuse the other side you don't
    The wire for your plow should have a fuse in line also.
  5. ricothunder

ricothunder Member
    from ontario

i believe the same hook the power to the other side of the fuse so it wont blow the head lights and put a in line fuse in that way if the plow fuse goes the head lights wont than there wont be as much load on first fuse
  6. Pristine PM ltd

The plow is off when the key is not in the ignition, I am going to go back to them and have them do what you suggested.
  7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

All that equipment and your not able to move a wire?
    Your plow should be off when the ignition is off..
  8. Pristine PM ltd

The point is that it isn't about moving a wire, it is about the fact that I have issues with how they have done this type of install on four trucks (problems as of today on three of them, one being two months old) and I feel that this problem should be solved by them. I also don't know enough about electrical systems to start messing around with them if it is something more then what we think it is. They are leased trucks and that also makes me cautious. I know this may sound like an excuse, but I am frustrated that I brought two of the trucks in to have them double check the install because of this fuse issue and they said they fixed it (they were in for regular service, wing issues). I understand what you are saying snofarmer, but I just feel that they should solve this problem and they are paid well to install plows. I know very little about installing plows and have alot to learn still.

Yes, of course the plow should be off when the ignition is not engaged, but "sharpcut" said he thought it would always be connected when powered to the headlights and this isn't the case. That is why I re-iterated that point.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

So you really didn't need any help?
    You just wanted to vent about what a crappy job you paid the installer to do.

Well that's a whole different problem then..

hope you get them working correctly.
  10. Pristine PM ltd

Sorry, I should be clearer. The installer had said that this never happens, and I don't believe that.

They also said that the pins that keep the upper half of the blizzard controller and the Velcro part together never come out (little black pins) and I can't believe that as well. I just wanted to see if I am just having some crazy bad luck with this fuse or not because I assume others have installed it this way.

Thanks and sorry if I came off sounding defensive Snofarmer, the truth is that I should also know more about how the plows work, but I still have alot to learn and because they are all new I get away with it.