1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

??fuse hookup??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevman-67, Oct 2, 2005.

1. chevman-67

chevman-67 Junior Member

Hello again I got my plow on my 88 GMC for the winter but don't know where to hookup my black wire to the fuse panel?It says to hook up the wire to a acc fuse that only has power with the key on.But on the 88 gmc I'm not sure of the best place to hook it up.It's a myers plow with the 2 switches.if any of you late 80s to early 90s gm owners could give me some ideas that would be great as I dont want to fry my wiring in case of a short these trucks have enough problems with wiring as it is .Thanks.
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Heater fuse, wiper fuse, radio fuse.
  3. fastx01

fastx01 Junior Member

NEVER HOOK UP ANY WIRES TO YOUR FUSE PANEL. They are meant to allow a certain mount of electricity through. A fuse only allows enough power to control the component correctly and protect it from getting too much power and frying itself out, if you tap into it, you could possibly not get enough juice to one thing or another, which would cause one not to work correctly. underpowering a component could also cause it to fail. ie. if you underpower a subwoofer it will blow. same thing if you replace you factory speakers. Those things run on like 20 watts and you go to put aftermarket speakers in without an amp, you will blow the speaker due to underpowering it. Tapping into a regulated power supply is a bad idea especially if its for a plow and or control pad. you don't want to fry a $100-$250 control pad in the middle of a storm.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I take it that's your power wire for your control switch's. That is a low amp /flow circuit. All it does is switch the power to the solenoids that do the high amp / flow work of running the pump. They do it so the pump can not be operated unless the key's on. Look at your repair manual and see if it has notes on the fuse panel. Most vehicles have plug in connections for ignition on and always hot. If your really concerned put a 20 amp fuse in the hot lead to the switch panel of the controls and carry extra fuses.
  5. chevman-67

chevman-67 Junior Member

Thanx guys I have read the owners manual and it gives me a the fuse panel but does not give me any advise on adding accesories.I will call the dealer in the morning your right about blowing somthing thats why I asked.Thought somone else might have done this on an 88-up.