1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuse for trailer plug power

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dieseld, Oct 25, 2009.

1. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Does any one know if my 01 2500HD 6.0L has the option for power at my tralier plug to charge my dump trailer while I am driving it? I had to install a fuse in my 06 under the hood if I remember correctly and now it charges it. Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it does it will be identical as your '06. So now you know where to look.

3. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

that fuse you are talking about will also charge the deep cycle battery on a dump trailer? i thought it would only charge the breakaway kit battery?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It will supply 12V battery power to whatever is connected to the top right hand pin in the trailer connector regardless of what it is.

5. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

no way! haha thats why my dump trailer is always charged. nice to know though

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Believe it. :D

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Have mine setup that way. Did some snow hauling one night, probably a hundred trips across the street. Cab controls for the dump, no isues at all.

8. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

The problem is I cannot remember what I did on the 06. Any further help would be great. I think I just added a fuse under the hood drivers side?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  9. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Check under the hood in the "electrical center" in Stud #1 or #2. There should be a red "dummy" plug where the fuse goes in. It's likely that the maxi-fuse needed is still taped to the brake controller wiring harness under the dash. Merely plase that fuse where the red plug was.

10. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Thanks, I just looked. Stud#1 and stud#2 each have a 30amp in them(large style fuse) yet I towed the dump trailer all day and it is dead? Any suggestions?

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are there wires connected to the two studs? And is your trailer wired to charge the battery? My dump was not, I had to modify it. Either way, put the charger on tonight.

12. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Dump is wired for it yes. Wires connected to studs? THe studs have the fuses in them I beleive.

13. jomama45

Check both fuses to make sure they're good, for some reason I thought one of them was a 40 amp, maybe only on deisels.

Check for power at the truck side of plug (as B&B said earlier), should be the only constant power IF it's working.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

At the rear of the fuse box there are two studs/bolts.

15. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

the cover of the fuse box says stud1 and stud2, these are not what you are talking about? They have fuses in them.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You cant put a fuse in a stud. A stud is the threaded end of a bolt protruding from a piece of equipment. Like your wheel studs. The fuses protect stud 1 and stud 2. What I am trying to get you to tell us is if there are wires connected to stud 1 and stud 2.

17. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

OK, I will have to reexamine this. Sorry.

18. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

OK, I do not have studs protruding through . I am looking under the hood on the drivers side under the fuse cover. The bottom of the fuse cover is labeled with everything. The words stud#1 and stud#2 are present, and there is a large fuse in each location. I am stumped at this point whether or not we are talking about the same thing or not. I would post a picture for you but I can't figure that out on this site for the life of me. Maybe you have a picture? Thanks.

19. jomama45

Have you done these 2 things yet?

I double checked & it is stud #1 that controls the aux. power back at the trailer pug. And Palmer, I think you really have him confused now!:dizzy:

20. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I have not checked the plug for power. I will try to do this tonight. And yes he has me confused!