1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuse blowing highlighter

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 30milepace, Feb 7, 2008.

1. 30milepace

30milepace Junior Member
    from Chicago

I have a federal safty double bar halogen highlighter. It keeps popping fuse on the power source I.E Lighter. I have a 2006 chevy 2500 hd. Has anyone else had this problem,if so what was the cure.
    Thanks
    Roger

2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

try useing a bigger fuse or the lights f@#$ up i couldnt really tell you i would have to look at it

3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Check your wires in the bar, the connectors there and finally if you have an ohm meter check the wires. If your running it through the door (if it's a magnet mount) you've probably broken the wire. If the contacts look rusted or oxydized you need to check your seal also. Since you said it's the Cigarette Lighter fuse... It may also be a problem with that!...

4. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

It sounds like i have the same mini bar as you and i also kept blowing fuses in from the lighter outlet, so i put in bigger fuses, and it still kept blowing, but when i use the accessory port it works fine.

5. 30milepace

30milepace Junior Member
    from Chicago

I looked at the difference between cig lighter and alt power source. The amp on cig is 15 the alt power is 20. I let it run on that and it did not blow it. I ran it to the point in time where the other would blow the fuse. I am going to give it a try on the next snow. I really want to go with light show that the strobes have. What is a good one and how hard to install.
    Thanks

6. Mstrfxit12

Mstrfxit12 Junior Member

Ok. I have to ask. Do you guys understand the purpose of fuses? Two different people suggested putting in larger fuses, and one of them is apparently a firefighter. Putting in larger fuses is what keeps firefighters busy. Fuses are sized to be a controlled weak link in the circuit. Upsize the fuse and you can move the controlled weak link to an area that is far less desirable. Do this and you could end up being able to cook marshmallows. I have done repairs on numerous wiring jobs that are burnt and the fuse is fine. Yes they put a huge fuse on little wire because it just kept blowing before. Just my $.02