1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuse Block X-fer/Upgrade

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rick Loncosky, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

Has anybody attempted or done a upgrade to the fuse blocks on mid 70's (glass fuses) to the mid 80's (plastic) fuses. My 75 C-10 resto is in process so I'd like to give this a go. Any help and/or tips available are greatly appreciated, thanks......

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Painless harness is a nice setup if your willing to spend the $600 but upgrading the glass fuse block/under dash harness to the newer factory ATO (plastic) style fuses isn't that bad of a job as long as you get the replacement block and harness out of the correct year of truck. A mid '80's block is too new, not that it can't be made to work but by the mid 80's there was way more wiring that your '75 wont have, which will make the swap a lot harder than it needs to be. You want to get a block/harness out of a '79 or '80 as they still had just the basics as far as wiring and they used the ATO type fuses.

4. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

B&B that's the kind of good info I'm talking about... Thank You!! :) I have a 78 K20 still has the glass but the 81 C10 I have, has the ATO and it doesn't have as many fuses as the 87 Suburban I'm withdrawing parts from. I'm hoping it's a direct unplug & swap. I hate to suspend the 81's life but...... :( How far over in central PA are, want to come to Lancaster County and do some work? LOL Iffen I can Help ya, give a holler! Rick....

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

LOL! Your about 200 mi S.E. of me....not too far:drinkup: ......The '81 wold be ok to swipe the harness out of. Since you'll be pulling it out of the doner truck yourself, you'll have a better idea how everything's connected and routed so it wont be a bad job. You will need to pull the instrument cluster and lower the steering column in order to remove and reinstall the wiring. You only need to swap the block/underdash harness.You don't need to swap the entire electrical harness throughout the truck. Two notes though: Depending on which gage package each truck has (idiot lights or gages, mech oil press verses electric oil press) you MAY need to move some of the wires in the instrument gage cluster connector but the color codes are all the same through out all the '73-up trucks.The other thing is the turn signal plug on the steering column....there were two different style connectors, but again the wire colors are the same. You may need to swap the plastic part of the connector by pulling the terminals/wires out of the connector and reusing your original '75 connector.You can use a paper clip to release the terminal pins from the plastic connector body if you do need to swap them.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007