1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuse and alternator for 95 F250 XL

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Milwaukee, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well deal with electric gembel on this plow truck. First fuel pump then coil then dist then ignition module then starter.:realmad:

Found bad ground cable so now everybody work right. For reason alternator is push 20 volts at idle. :eek: Bad voltage regulator?

I am worry about wires melt from that lot volts. Does Ford came with fuse protect? like 100 amp fuse on wire from Alternator to battery?

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Not that I know of and I think the regulator is built in- I could be wrong its been about 6 years since I owned my F150. I used a AutozOne altenator to replace one in my 92 bronco and it worked great- I think it was $80.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Could be just a string of stuff deciding of failing. As far as running 20 volts at idle, I have never heard of that.Low bout never high. The regulator is internal, to replace it you need some skills. The ability to restrain the brushes with stiff wire, install, then pull the wires to seat the brushes. I just replace the Alternator because it's bearings, regulator and windings are questionable.

4. Milwaukee

Well replace with another alternator it push 20 volts at idle and rev about 2,000 it push 24 volts

We start get angry and think we make huge mistake purchase plow truck with really low miles.

It turn out that volt multitester we use were BAD. 20 years old it gave up. :laughing:

Well we try another volt multitester it push 14.75-14.90 volt that great.

5. plowguy43

LOL glad you figured it out- for the most part those 92-97 Trucks are cheap to fix just about anything and used parts are everywhere.

6. Milwaukee

That reason why we bought that truck in year range. Some people think it way old to use for plow.

I have 8 junkyards in 10 miles range so they are full of F150 and F250.

7. plowguy43

To old? ha no way. Those are the last of the "real" trucks IMO. basic interiors, rough riding, but they were built to work!

8. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

You mean there was a time when a work truck didn't cost over $30,000 new ??? Huh :dizzy:
    Thank god I have power windows and the electronic compass in my plow truck :laughing:

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My Wife keeps saying ; "Your always working on your old truck! "
    No Dear it's called "Maintaining it". It's old and tired it needs a bit more care then a new truck. I can walk into almost any parts store and walk out with what I need.