1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Funny thing happened the other day....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Schuley, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

So we were abou tall done with our rout, and a lady down the street from me wanted me to clear her driveway... I had just stopped home and got the message. I had our deere rider with the front mount blower so just drove that down there. The snow was 6-7" deep. And the drive is from the street all the way to a detached garage in the back of the lot. There I was....snow blowing my way to the back, when i come to the end of the house...where there was a back door she apparently lets the dog out of. I sucked the cable into my auger and wrapped it all up tighter then heck. I was pissed off! So I headed back to the shop which was about 5 blocks away and start to remove the wound up cable from the impeller when my dad walks into the shop all pissed and wondering what the HE!! I did, so I explained. Well, he had just got a call from the home owner all pissed and threatening to sue and whatnot, just being a rag like usual. She said we messed up her door......so we hopped in the truck and drove back over there and much to my surprise the darn door was laying in the driveway!! The whole frame and everything! Turns out both ends of the steele cable were inside, and when the blower sucked up the cable, the ends didn't fit through the door seal and brought the whole thing with it! I never noticed because I was so pissed about the blower, never even looked towards the house. I'm a carpenter...so I just re-hung the door in the opening no problem....but boy was that a sight to see! Never knew the blower could pull a door and frame right off a house! It looked like it wasn't fastened in very well to begin with though....:laughing:
  2. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

awesome, bet that would have been cool to see
  3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Not to hijack, But I've got a similar story...

Four years ago, or so, one of my subs pulls into a residential he'd been doing for me for a few years. He noticed the overhead door was open, but didn't think anything of it. What he didn't know was that the homeowner's dog had been out for a little play in the snow, and they had tied his leash to the overhead door track. When they brought the dog in, they left the leash laying on the snow covered driveway. Well, I'm sure he couldn't have done it again if he tried, but when he dropped the blade, the dog leash lasooed the foot on his plow. Upon backing up, he effectively removed one entire side of the overhead door track, and the 16 foot overhead door came crashing down into the garage! How do ya think I liked getting that call?? The homeowner was amazingly calm, and we worked out a deal to have the damage repaired as he felt partially responsible for the leash being there in the first place (thank god!)

Anyway, I feel your pain!!
  4. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

lol it all seems too familiar..... During the storm that his us in the end of January we were using a snow blower on the entrance to an office building at three in the morning. I was in the truck and one of my laborers was using the snow blower. Next thing I know, he comes to the truck and says " we have a problem" there was a phone line all wrapped up in the blower.... now this is an office building in a "not so good" area of town. we are trying to unwrap this mess in the blower as a couple of police officers start pulling in. I didnt even bother to put two and two together..... uh oh, the phone line is connected to the alarm system... apparently a silent one. haha. it was fun explaining that one...the line was hanging down the front of the building right by the front door. wonderful installation!!!