1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Funny stuff

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by drmiller100, Feb 2, 2006.

1. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

I saw something you don't see every day. A large excavator working on the snow in a parking lot for a grocery store.

the guy who got the contract pushed the snow in the fall ot the edge of the pavement, and not out into the field. no they are out of room, adn the store manager is MAD. Well, he rented an 844 loader, but couldn't afford chains for it. It turns out an 844 john deere loader is pretty worthless without chains, and he isn't smart enough to tunnel through, and work from the back side, or tunnel though, and push snow through the hole.

so, he is using the excvator with the one yard bucket. He drove up on top of the berm, and is moving the snow from one side ot the other.

i figure he is about 100 cubice yards of snow into it, and has 10,000 more to go.

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

thats too funny. Shame you don't have pictures.

3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

As odd as it sounds I've heard of this working effectively. A guy I know said he used to use one to push into a river ( when that was still acceptable). Excellent reach and pretty quick in the right situation. I think they had a loader pushing right to it.

4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have a feeling he owns the excavator or got it cheap. (rental rates are cheaper in winter months if the equipment is not in use)

Because of the rental rate of the excavator he could have rented a mine grade wheel loader or purchased tire chains for his other loader.

Or maybe he just needed an excuse to play digger dan :p

5. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

When one of my commercial yards got too full with snow a few years ago...here's what I rented to move it all to the rear of the lot with piles as high as the buildings...costly but boy did it work and wow it was kinda fun...brand new "ta boot".

When I stopped at the dealer and asked if it was for rent (it was brand new in the yard)...they didn't think I was serious and gave me a number that they figured would scare me off...when I accepted they then said it was up to me to find someone to move it (they doubted I could...wrong again) I had it at my lot by 1100hrs that morning and moved piles until 2300hrs that nite....costly but worth every penny in both need and fun.

The Volvo L180E Wheel Loader, The 29-ton (63 930 lbs), 221 kW (300 hp) With a heavy-duty 12-liter, 6-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine

SD-Dave :drinkup:

L180E_b_GetMoreDone_335x150[1].jpg

6. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

lol couple years ago a local contractor i worked for was useing his 225 cat at a grocery store for a utility trench then parked it in the corner of the lot so it was out of anyones way for a few days.

little did he know we had a major snowstorm that weekend and the plowing contractor (who i found out later came in second on that utility job) decided to use that 225 as part of his snow pile lol

man was the old guy pi$$ed when he seen it that monday i couldn't stop laughing the pile was at least 15 feet tall, took a week for it to melt away to at least get to the cab to fire her up. lol awww great memories of cut throat contractors in town