1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Funny story

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

So, I just got off the phone with a new client. He owns a very small apartment complex with a lot about the size of 1.5 drives (average 2 car driveways). I called him and told him $45 per push and I would clean it up after the plows go through and when the cars are gone. He called back and said I think a fair price is $30 and only plow it when there is a big storm. I told him I would think about it. So I called him back and told him I would do it for $45, otherwise I wouldn't be interested in it. He said to do it, but make sure it is a "big" storm. lol. So, I'm kinda suprised I got the job, I was kinda hoping not to. But the price I gave him will make it worth my while. Anyone else get anything like this from landlords not wanting to spend a dime? He told me that he has guys that plow drives for less than $30! :dizzy::confused: So I basically told him I'm not one of those "cheap" guys, and that I already have plenty of customers that pay those rates. So anyway, I just thought that was kinda funny and I wanted to share. Nevermind that we already had 6 plowable events! lol. And he didn't have anyone lined up to plow, wonder why??? Don't worry, I'm sending him a contract.

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I would have told him to go screw this guy will be nothing but a headache.He will complain if you plow and complain if you don't seeing as he is setting the trigger at a big storm of his judgment.If a tenant is to fall on his lot he will place it all on you.
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Yup, that's why I was suprised I got the job. But we will see... I guess I shoulda told him $60 after thinking about it. lol That would've been an unfair price. But now I can do the job, take my time and do a good job for the $45. We will see if he is happy, because I have plenty of other clients that are.
  4. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You should have a trigger specified
  5. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

IMO- you're asking for a TON of headaches if you don't get this guy to sign up for a trigger. I wish you luck!

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

whats considered a BIGstorm

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Don't worry about me to much guys, I put a trigger of 4" on the contract. We will see what he says when he receives it. It's not like a $200/push job or anything, so I guess I'm going to try it out and see what happens. I'll let you know how it goes. :rolleyes:
  8. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

There is a company here that is going to be building a HUGE condo/hotel complex, don't know the exact number but I would say somewhere near $40-50 million dollars. So they buy a vacant building near where this thing is going up and open a sales office. They call and ask for a price to plow and salt their sales office. It's about 6 swipes with the plow, but I don't have accounts nearby so I tell him $75 per push and $30 to salt it. He agrees, signs contract. Then tells me he wants to "save as much as possible".

Well, I send him the first invoice and he replies that "feedback on work has been fantastic, but if you could cut back a little bit that would be nice, we are trying to keep costs as low as possible. Like eliminate things like the salting only trip you made on December 10th". I shite you not, the guy actually said this!

Needless to say I am trying to keep this guy happy so I can get the Hotel/Condo complex when it opens, it would be a huge account, but jeeez, building a $50,000,000.00 super high end luxurious building and your worried about a $75.00 plowing charge?

I guess this is how the rich get rich. LOL

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Thats gonna be fun to plow after 2 or 3 , 2" storms and then a 4" trigger storm after.
  10. Brant'sLawnCare

Yea, I think someone snowblows it, but I'm not sure. That's why I bid it like I did. If it were on a 1 or 2" trigger I would do it for $35 or $40, or if he called me in Oct. or November.
  11. Brant'sLawnCare

That's funny! lol. Like you say though, it will be worth keeping so you can get the contract once it is a hotel. I don't think this guy is hurting either, he has an office in Madison. That town is fairly ritsy for the most part. I think he is just kinda a penny pincher. Sounds like the guy your dealing with is a real tightwad though. If I could have $50 million, I don't think I would complain about anything that costs a measley $75. That would be like pocket lint.
  12. BigLebowski

BigLebowski Junior Member

I refuse to take on "call me's" or "occasional plows" or "wait until it's 4 feet first". My per push people want me to show up less and my contract people want me there more. I eliminate all this crap by letting them know before the first flake falls that I do not discriminate one way or another and it's 3 inches. I am at everyone's house the same day. If it continues to snow after I'm done, I will go back out the next morning again for a separate visit. However, I will back off if the forecast calls for a warm up like they say will be in a few days. This past warm up with rain cleaned everyone's drive right down to the pavement.

The only exception for me would if I had commercial accounts, then I would be there every 2" no matter what.
  13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I plow a privite road for a HOA. They asked me to give them a bid. All told it is about a 1/2 mile of road or so with the two cald de sacs. Only one intersection, and no curbs, so it is a pretty easy plow. 3 swipes with some clean up on the ends, and the intersection. Any how I give them a price of 100 dollars per evey two inches. The road is about 10 miles from the rest of my route. Anyhow the president of the HOA calls me up and agrees to the price, so I send him out a contract. He signs the contract with my 2 inch trigger marked out, and a hand written 8 above it. I called him back right away and said let me get this straight, you only want me to plow at 8 inches? He answered yes, we are trying to save money, and plowing is the only place we can save it. I explained to him that it's his choice, so if that what he wants then I will give it to him...... for 4 hundred dollars every time I come out. He started back pedaling real quick saying that it should only be 100 dollars for each 8 inches. I said no you only corrected the trigger amount, and never touched anything as for as the 100 per every 2 inches. So needless to say he was forced into changing his mind about it all real quick. I have done this property for 3 years straight now, and nobody has ever once complained, when they get up in the morning and see nice plowed streets.
  14. Brant'sLawnCare

I usually don't either, but this building is right down the road from me and will only take a few minutes to plow. Plus it is right by some driveways that I plow. I don't have to sign them back on next year if I don't want. But I'm willing to try it out and see what happens. I'm still kinda new at this so I don't have a lot of commercials. This will be my second lot. I don't have any problems with any of my other customers, they know how my service is, and what it costs. But they know it is worth it (not tooting my own horn). If this guy is too many problems once he gets the bill, then I will drop him. I'm willing to give almost everyone a chance as long as they sign a contract.
  15. Brant'sLawnCare

Yup. Some people are tight with money, but when it comes down to it, they will open up a little for good service, it just may take a little "negotiating".
  16. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of the $30 Dollar drive ways guys dumped the plow trucks and bought small cars. At $4.00 a gallon for gas and $5 for Diesel they traded them. So many car lots around here have plow trucks on lots. I know its the season but there seem to be a lot more than usual.
  17. Brant'sLawnCare

Well, I don't mind plowing a normal small drive for $30 or so. I mean it will take 5 mins or so. But it sounds like he has a bunch of other lowballer, beer money snowplowers doing his other properties. You know the guys plowing for $10-$15.
  18. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I'm so grateful I've developed my business to the point where I can tell those turkeys where to stick it.
  19. Brant'sLawnCare

Yeah, I'm working on getting to that stage of my business. It takes a while. Where you located at in Milwaukee?