1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

funny story!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by turbo5560, Feb 13, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

well first of all i think a thread needs to be started for all the hilarious things that happen with snow removal. While this isn't directly related it made my night.
    A car spun off into the median of a highway in front of me so i stopped to check if i could pull them out (of course no tow hook on a bonneville, which i think every car should have) and they were two hispanic woman (which doesn't necessarily matter except for the end of the story, no im not racist!). So i was looking for some thing to pull them out with but the car was barried and without a lot of work I wasn't going to be able to help them. They were talking on there nextels to the bf/husbands and I said that i couldn't help them if you don't have a tow hook. They were like so what do you have then? I said a tow strap. The lady was like could you put the tow strap through the window and loop it around and pull me out? And i said "not unless you want a convertible" and they giggled at that. Then I said "i can't help you, but I hope your julio and iglizas can! Sorry, See you!" and i left.
    After i left i was thinking... out of all the people that have gone in the ditch someone has had to pull someone out doing what she asked me to do. My guess is that sense she thought of it, they has probably seen her porbresita do it before. (sorry my spanish is a little rusty!)
  2. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Not that it would help. But you coulda said i'll tow you out like that after you sign a release of liability.
  3. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

well yes.... but it's not worth it.... the i might as well charge them $50 as well. If i can give them a little tug then fine, anything more than that... call a tow truck
  4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I agree with the TUG not Tow part. When I show up to help with the tug part, I hook on to my truck and then I hand the other hook to the car driver/owner and let them hook it up and I tell them to hook it on something solid because it will pull hard. I had a guy hook up to the end of a chrome bumper on the back of an S-10 and asked if he was sure that is what he wanted to do........he said yes, I pulled him out like butter and twisted his bumper and not a word was said about it........I have been doing it that way eveer since

PS don't lay a full size maglight with the lens against a leather seat while it is on, unless you like the smell of burning leather, it isn't always cheap being a nice guy:nono:
  5. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

A friend of mine stopped to help a guy in a Ford Ranger who went into the ditch backwards. My friend hooked up the strap to his plow frame and asked the guy to connect the other end to something solid. After looking the situation over for a few seconds.... he hooks it thru the plastic grill.:dizzy: My friend says, are you S U R E?
    The guy says ya, it's pretty solid.

My friend said he felt sorry for the dude and rehooked the strap. All the time he's wondering if this guy would sue him if something did happen to go wrong.
    Thought you would get a laugh over this one:jester:
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The town (lady/bi*ch) cop stopped me and told me not to push snow across the street. I told her I don't leave snow in the street. I clean it all off. She screamed there was NO way I was pushing across the street anymore. I said fine. Told her to watch her step as we were sitting on an incline and it was very icy. She told me she knew how to walk on ice just fine thank you. Turned around and fell flat on her a**. Prett sure she heard me laughing my a** off as she got back in her car.....:D
  7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

wait till u get a ticket from her its gonna be a steet one for j walking or something. no good deed goes un punishd
  8. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

me and my buddy were on our way to an account durring a storm. and some lady slid off the road. so we pulled over and said we would pullher out. and while we were hooking up a cop showed up and said you cant do that. and he said ill fine you if you do it. so we said ok drove off turned around like 1/4 mile down the road and came back. pulled her out after the cop left. drove down the street about 1/2-3/4 of a mile and the cops cruiser was in a snowbank. we pulled over and he asked if we could pull him out. we said sorry we arnt allowed to call a tow truck and drove off.

He was pissed off.
  9. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Thats priceless........ See what goes around comes around ...
  10. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

thats the best story i have heard in a long time, even though im in school for criminal justice i would i of flipped the guy off and drive off. Some cops need to get the stick out of their butt.

or an idea would be to pull the car out and keep going down the road like 100 yards... i bet you would put some other cars in the ditch that drove by from laughing so hard.
  11. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Hooked up to the mail ladies truck which was buried in the snow bank. Tried pulling her out for about 15 min and told her to call a tow truck. She then asked me if it would help if took it out of park and put it in reverse. I should have left her fat arse there, but she was blocking the driveway to the complex I was living in.
  12. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Years ago travelling from Utah back to Colorado which was home at the time I encountered a snowstorm going across the Wasatch mountains which really was slowing me down. Once I got into Wyoming the snow had slowed so I started to go faster trying to make up time. Roads were hardpacked but sanded well so traction wasn't a big issue. I had gotten just east of Rock Springs WY without seeing much if any traffic at all. Coming down grade and going around a corner I encountered a WY state trooper coming in the westbound lanes. I realized at that point I was doing about 75 mph (limit was 55 back in the day) and he lit me up.:realmad:

I began to slow and pull off on the shoulder while I watched him continue driving to try and get to an opening in the median so he could cross over. As mentioned earlier it had snowed heavily and there was about 12" of fresh powder in the median. He must have feared that I wouldn't wait for him so he attempts to cut across through the snow:nono:.

Did I mention he was in a Ford Mustang:dizzy:

While attempting the crossover the median dropped I would guess about 3 foot and was all filled in with snow. That stang was buried half way up the windows and he was going no where.

As I histarically laughed I pulled away and set the cruise at 60 the rest of the way home.xysport
  13. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

That is Priceless!!!
  14. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I have one seasonal / weekender driveway thats a pain in the arse. Steep and about 400 plus feet long, its got a deep ditch down both sides for the most part. Every so often they swail off into the woods. I pull the new owner out once or twice a year. The original owner I used to drag his Lincoln Town Car out one a week. First time after I hooked up I told him just put it in neutral. It is up past the door handles on the drivers side. I get in my truck, look in the rear view, he is climbing back out the passenger side. He steps back and stands there. I get back out and ask whats wrong, he says " I thought you were going to pull it out " I said uuhh you have to be in it!! He says " Why, I put it in neutral like you said ". I freaked out a little bit, HELLO I DON'T WANT IT TO ROLL DOWN AND SMASH MY TRUCK! Told him to get in the car he needed to steer it. I dragged it out and he steered it right across the driveway and into the other ditch. So I dragged it some more again he comes out of the second ditch, across the driveway into the first ditch again! So I keep dragging him. It stayed in the ditch all the way down the rest of the hill. Didn't come out until we hit the right of way road his driveway is off from.
    Last week one of the apt. buildings I do. The one woman gets her minivan stuck. Not bad just the type of snow once you spin on it its ice. So I plow all around it. Pull up behind it, get the chain out, the dumb sister in law who already irritated me to the point of calling the building owner ( Their brother inlaw and told him he need to get his own truck and have his sister in law do the plowing, since she knows so much more about it than me. She says " Would'nt it be easier to put it in neutral and just push it out "? I said have at it, hooked the chain and pulled it right out. If it had been her rig I would have left it there!
  15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Unibody cars ARE towed by running the strap through the back doors and under the front/back end.

People shouldn't be in a vehicle being towed.

Some of the stories here could scare a tow truck operator. I'd really advise leaving the towing to the tow trucks. Too much potential for damage. Even hooking up can be tricky, depending on the car.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  16. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

First of all you can use the holes in the sub frame that the car carrier uses to tie the car down to the trailer with. Secondly, when you pull someone out, you assume all the risk of damage to the vehicle you are pulling out. Third, you could be causing a traffic hazzard when you pull them out and yes.... you again assume the liability for causing the accident. Wrecker companies have coverage for these situations and since in this day and age it's not a matter of IF you get sued, but WHEN you do..... I only offer to CALL a tow truck if they need assistance.
  17. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Years ago during the Buffalo NY blizzard of 1977 they let us walk home from high school. 3 of us were passing a hotel and a guy in a volkswagen beetle was half on the road half in the hotels driveway. He asked if we could help push him into the parking lot as he wanted to get a room and wait out the storm. It was like a mid 70's bettle with chrome bumpers. the 3 of us grab the back bumper and start to push and it moves a liitle. the guy says let me try to rock it let it come backwards and when I go forward push. So we have been doing this 3 or 4 times and as we push on the bumper we are unknowingly pulling up on it some as we are pushing. we almost get him in the lot when the bumper comes off the car in our hands and all 3 of us are looking at each other like oh sheet. The car rools back some and the guys like why are'nt you pushing it was almost in ? He gets out and looks at us holding his bumper and says oh well can you put it in the back seat ? We did and he said thanks for trying I guess I will call a tow truck from inside the hotel and gave us each $5 andsaid have lucnh on me.
  18. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

$5 in the 70's was like a days pay... that would be lunch for the whole week! ;)
  19. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I guess I shouldn't say much as this is supposed to be a "funny things" post but, here in WI we can get a ticket for pulling some one out. Under the rule of causing a traffic hazard.
    So with that in mind I normally don't but several years ago when I didn't care that much I pulled out a couple of younger kids who ditched their car just down the road from us. It was really in there deep. So after I get them out and put away the chain they just jumped in their car and drove away. Well, in my book ya can at least say a "thank you" or offer a couple of bucks which, I would probably turn down any how, but these guys apparently where jerks so, after that experience no more wasting my time. They can wait for the cops to come, give them a ticket for "too fast for conditions" and then a tow truck ($$$)!
    But there is another funny story that I have that is the resturaunt where I plow the owner had showed up early to start cooking and tried coming in the entrance thru about 18" of snow w/ his 2 wd s10 P/U. Well he stuck it and seeing as he's the guy who's gonna pay me anyhow I figured I'd pull him out. So, we're looking for someplace to pull from and he wants to hook the chain end on the cowl that the radiator and stuff are on under the hood! I said I don't think so! Thats all sheet metal and all he was doing was putting the hook in a hole in the pressed sheet metal! I could just see my hook ripping rite thru the whole thing! What a dumb%$#@ !! I don't go there to eat either! We finally pulled it out backwards after finding something way up under the rear of the truck.
  20. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Great stories guys! Keep 'em comin!

I agree, if you give someone a tug that they should at least offer you a few bucks. I usually turn down the $, but the last time I pulled somebody out of the dead end street by my house, the lady I pulled out a $20, I said, "that's fine, don't worry about it." She said, "No, because of you I won't be late for work" she then shoved the $20 in my jacket pocket. It was a great day, and she wasn't too bad lookin' either!