1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Funny story...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bighornjd, Jan 13, 2011.

1. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

My brother in-law put a used plow on his truck this year. He had one before but sold it and he has helped me with snow in the past so he's not a total newb. He can't commit to much in the way of accounts due to his full-time job. Got the plow cheap and uses it to do the private road they live on and a few driveways for family and friends. Doesn't do them for free but charges a reasonable price and mostly does it because he enjoys it. His girlfriend works at a daycare center and he was telling me a few weeks ago that she said they were looking for someone to plow the lot. I asked why they were still looking for someone so late in the season and told him he would be wise not to touch it without the proper liability insurance. He more or less agreed but I wasn't sure if he intended to do it anyway or not.:rolleyes: A few days ago I asked if he had heard any more about it. He said "Yeah they're still looking for somebody but they don't want to pay anything." I thought maybe that meant they didn't want to pay what it was worth and asked what he meant. Well, he meant just what he said. They are looking for someone to plow AND salt the lot for FREE! This is a church/daycare with 2 lots, 1 on each side of the building, with 2 entrances off a busy main road. At least 30 min worth of plowing with a pickup and straight blade even in a light snow, probably more like 40-45 especially to throw salt.

I just had to shake my head and laugh. I'm out of the commercial side now, and I know things are bad, but I guess it's worse than I thought. I'm sure there are plenty of other stories out there like this. Good luck to you guys, I feel for ya. The saddest part is they will probably find someone to do it...:dizzy:

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

alot of churches want their work done free or at a very little cost

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I work for a church and daycare. They are great payers and don't give me grief.

4. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

That's what I figured, but the day care is seperate, it just shares the same building. And churches often only want done when the snow is over or before Sunday unless there is something else going on. This place would need to be done by early AM every day and kept clear throughout the day. This daycare is it's own business, and not exactly the cheapest from what I've heard. I used to do several churches and was paid fairly, and always on time...

5. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

that's ridiculous my dad does 2 churches i will say hes does them for 20% off though, worse thing about it they probably will find someone:dizzy:

6. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Im a member of a church and do the lot for free, cuz the money saved by the church can be used elsewhere where it is most needed

7. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I find it strange the church cant find one of its members to plow it for free. There isn't a market here for church outside work for sure.