1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

funny smell

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by andyman0291, Oct 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

im getting a funny smell out of my truck exhaust, and a lot of smoke when i first start it up. just wondering if anyone might have an idea what it could be. thanks.

tom

2. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Probably be a good idea to tell us what truck and motor you have.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

That's just because it's a Ford. Only way to cure the problem is get a GM or Dodge! Just kidding.

We gotta know the engine first. What color is the smoke? If it's a V10, it's probably blue smoke on start up. Seems like every V10 does it. Burn a little oil right at start up. I'm just going out on a limb here.

4. andyman0291

2001 f250 v10

5. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

What he said... what color is the smoke?

6. andyman0291

it is a light bluish gray, and has a strange smell to it. im just wondering if it is something to worry about. have any of you guys replaced the ball joints before? how hard is it, and do you know where i can find a how to?

7. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

does the light bluish gray go away? If so that is a tell tail sign of warn valve guides. If you're not familiar with valve guide I can explain. Warn valve guides won't stop from running your truck.

8. andyman0291

the smoke does go away after a few minutes of having it running, what exactly are warn valve guides?

9. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Valve guides are located around the stem of the valves in the head, they are usually an insert in the head that locates the vavle/stem in the head. The stem slides up and down inside the valve guide as the valves open and close. Over time they will wear. When this happened usually exactly what you are describing happens.

This is due to the fact that when you shut off your truck oil seeps by between the valve guide and the valve stem and sits on the top of the valve. When you start the motor again, the oil gets burned off, that why you see the smoke on start up, when the oil gets burn off and the engine is warm, no smoke will be visible, unless the valve guides are really warn.

10. andyman0291

is this a major project to replace?

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

How many miles on the truck and does it use much oil between oil changes?

12. andyman0291

76000 and i just got it so im not sure.

13. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

You bet it is. It will be costly...but if you're not burning a lot of oil I wouldn't worry about it.

14. andyman0291

ok, thanks for the info. do you have any info on replacing ball joints, or how to check if they are worn?

15. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Originally Posted by 02powerstroke View Post
    Jack the truck up so the tires are about 3-4" off the ground take a large pry bar and place it under the wheel and lift up and down on the pry bar and watch the bail joints (upper and lower) while doing this. There should be no play if there is this could be the cause of some of your problems. My 2002 had the same thing happeing and I had a really bad upper drives side ball joint so I replaced the upper the lower and the axle U joint while I had it all a part. Problem solved

That was from you're "all over the road thread"

I haven't done ball joints yet on my truck, but it is an involved job. Hub, axle need to come off, you typically need a ball joint installation tool, it's not a simple one.

16. andyman0291

the whole axle needs to come off??!!

17. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

No the axle will slide out of the housing, the whole axle does not get removed from the truck.

18. hydro_37

from iowa

To Check your ball joints go read the "all over the road" forum.

19. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

What oil you use in that V10?

76,000 miles that sound PO didn't change oil lot or put too thick oil.

Our F250 do that all time when not start for several days. But it still do this for almost 60,000 miles if I can remember it but it have lot miles 255,000.

20. hydro_37

from iowa

Another story of "his" trucks to learn from.......Thanks MIL

Changing the oil more often on a 76,000 mile truck won't make the valve seals wear out much faster.
    Unless the oil was never changed and then you would have more the valve guide problems. JMO