1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Funny Reading From National Service Provider

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mach428, Jan 14, 2016.

1. mach428

mach428 Junior Member
    from indiana

Got a email today from FERRANDINO & SON looking for seasonal pricing for some daycare centers. Wanting to pay $1,500 per season for these specs. Obviously not in reality but if somebody wants to do them I will forward your name to them. HAHA
    Snow Removal Requirements
    1. The Services will include the removal of snow from all public (defined as walkways surrounding the perimeter of the Facilities, typically closest to the street) and private (defined as walkways that are: adjacent to the building; at or around the front entrance, mail pathways, drop-off/pick-up areas, enclosures/corrals, emergency exits, bus parking and concrete stoops) sidewalks, parking lots, awnings, overhangs, staff parking, and all entranceways and exits which are included as part of the Facilities to be serviced.
    2. Service Provider is required to maintain snow removal at the Facilities during all hours of operation. All locations must be constantly monitored and maintained by Service Provider so that the operations of such location shall remain uninterrupted and not impacted by a snow event.
    3. Service Provider will be required to provide snow removal and deicing services during and following snow accumulation of two inches (2”) or any scenario that results in ice formation or any otherwise slippery conditions.
    4. Snow Plowing should begin once accumulation reaches two inches (2”) and every two inches (2”) thereafter continuously. During a snow event, final services and clean up shall be fully completed after the event has ceased.
    5. Service Provider will communicate with Knowledge Universe staff when they arrive and leave location and what areas they are servicing. Staff must be notified anytime crew will be in close proximity to any area near students, including playgrounds.
    6. Service Provider shall be on-call and available to perform any additional snow and ice management services between the occurrences of snow events and in connection with snowfalls or icing conditions.
    7. If a work order request is received or additional service is requested by Knowledge Universe or Ferrandino & Son, Inc. Service Provider shall return to complete service within 1 hour. Service Provider will also provide before and after pictures documenting conditions. Pictures are to be submitted while Service Provider is on site.
    8. Sidewalks, bus parking, drop-off/pick-up areas, entrances/exits to the building, staff parking, and parking spaces closest to the entrances must be cleared first.
    9. Service Provider will comply with all applicable Laws governing exit/fire aisles.
    10. Public walkways shall be continuously maintained and monitored during snow fall (fully in accordance with applicable laws based on local store requirements)
    11. In the event that walkways have been cleared by the vendor during the final service, no later than six (6) hours after the event has ceased and have been re-covered with snow by municipal plowing services, service provider will be required to clear plow over from sidewalks.
    12. Service Provider shall not be allowed to pile, dump or relocate snow adjacent to any building/structures, trees, shrubs, beds, entrances, exits, trash containers/equipment, generators, etc. without the express permission of Ferrandino & Son, Inc.
    13. Stacking is not allowed around light poles, signs, entrance and exits to building and cannot interfere with drains or access and egress routes to the Facilities.
    14. Service Provider is responsible to clear snow off the top of any drains present at location
    15. When a snow/ice event is predicted, Ferrandino & Son, Inc. will communicate with Service Provider and determine a plan of action to maintain access in and around the facilities.
    16. All work is to be performed with the utmost concern for the safety of Service Provider employees, Knowledge Universe students, parents, and employees, and the general public.
    17. The services CANNOT interfere with the day to day business operations of the location.
    18. Service Provider shall replace or repair any real or personal property damaged by its employees or agents, including structures, curbs, landscape areas, etc.
    19. Service Provider is responsible for all labor, materials, permits, fees (unless expressly excluded and called out herein), and equipment necessary to perform the services.
    20. Service Provider shall be responsible for complying with laws and any fines assessed for non-compliance.
    21. Hauling of snow to an offsite location should be avoided if possible. When hauling to an offsite location is required to clear the facilities of snow, the Service Provider must provide a proposal to Ferrandino & Son, Inc. and Ferrandino & Son, Inc. will provide approval for such site. This cost will be in addition to the regular service rates and considered Out
    Initials: _______ 3 of 7
    of Scope. Service Provider must not perform hauling service without approval from Ferrandino & Son, Inc.
    22. Service Provider is responsible for providing all of the necessary equipment to load and transport snow to a location designated by Ferrandino & Son, Inc. as a dumping area on the Facilities.
    23. At no time shall Service Provider store on location any vehicles, equipment, or materials needed to provide snow and ice management for Knowledge Universe.
    24. Where necessary Service Provider will clear snow and ice from awnings and canopies. Snow and ice will then be cleared from sidewalk or other areas covered by awning or canopy.
    De-Icing Requirements
    1. Service Provider will apply salt, magnesium chloride, and/or calcium chloride to the Facilities in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. In determining whether or not to apply ice melting products in any particular circumstance, Service Provider shall act reasonably based on the weather in the vicinity of the Facilities and shall respond in accordance with the industry standards applicable to the snow and ice maintenance industry.
    a. On-site storage of salt or other de-icing materials for the service provider’s use is not allowed.
    2. If Service Provider is to apply ice melting products at a Facility, Service Provider shall apply rock salt to the asphalt surfaces and calcium or magnesium chloride or other products designed for the purpose of melting snow to the concrete surfaces. Care must be taken when applying ice control products to not damage the surface to which it is applied. NO SODIUM CHLORIDE OR ROCK SALT MAY BE USED ON SIDEWALKS.
    3. Ice melting services and continuous monitoring are required during all hours of store operation.
    4. During situations where icing may occur, sidewalks and all entrances to the Facilities must be treated in such a manner to minimize ice accumulations in accordance with the deicing application limits set forth for that Facility.
    6. A salt/sand mix may be used if weather conditions prohibit salt, magnesium chloride, and/or calcium chloride from properly minimizing ice accumulations in accordance with the deicing application limits set forth for that Facility.
    a. This mixture should contain no more than an 80/20 mix of Salt and Sand, accordingly.
    b. No sand will be used within 100 feet of entrance doors. This area will be maintained using Magnesium Chloride or other deicing agents to assist in ice removal.
    c. Any excess sand/salt must be identified and removed at the end of the season at no cost to Ferrandino & Son, Inc. and/or Knowledge Universe. Cleanup of excessive sand should be completed within 24 hours of notification.
  2. Summerlawn

Summerlawn Member

Why anyone would agree to these terms is beyond me. They set you up to fail and hold all of the risk. You should never be so desperate for work to agree to these terms.
  3. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

HA! thats a joke. They called me about some store 3 hours away first and was like are you stupid. Then they asked us to take on a site somewhat close and they wanted like 15 dollars for sidewalks and 120 per push for 12" or more. I wouldn't get out of bed for a 15 dollar sidewalk.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

All of that for $1500/season!:laughing:
    Maybe they are real small accounts, but still a lot of work to keep track of. You would have to be real stupid or real desperate to take that work. Someone will.
  5. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

We ALL think that their terms are COMPLETELY LUDACRIS, however, somehow they find some idiot to agree to them every year. Let's face it, if they didn't provide a contractor for their customer's sites, their customers would fire them. So sense they remain in business, we can only assume that they continue to find a new idiot (or several) every year. LOL
  6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Where Do I sign Up For This?:gunsfiring:
  7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Thing is we are in the middle of January, and there looking for a contractor now? :confused:
  8. derekslawncare

Probably because their first idiot wised up and said screw this, not worth it. So now they are searching for their next gullible idiot to finish out the season.
  9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Always somebody next in line unfortunately
  10. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

WTF, I read most of it cause it was funny, :laughing:
  11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

would any of us take a $1500 seasonal account if it was just a 20' long piece of sidewalk? the liability in NJ at least isn't worth the $1500 if all we had to do is let them shovel and salt it and we assumed the insurance. One slip and fall and jacks your insurance rate up $20k next season here.

Crazy as that may sound, Ferrandino has Rite aids in NJ this year, they sent us a bunch of prices, ranging from $1300-2600 PER SEASON! That was november, so since we did many of these same locations in the 2008-2010 seasons for other companies on a per push/salt basis, we billed close to $10k both years PER STORE. five years ago...
  12. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

and they probably havn't paid out a dime yet for the season because the first company stopped or couldn't perform or finish the services for the price, so they still have their $1500 or whatever ready for the next contractor, until he works for a few weeks and says F this, and on to the last, they'll offer him $500 and they make 4k for the season on an account they only had to pay $500 to the last guy who works in march lol
  13. amigacz2

amigacz2 Junior Member

Companies like FERRANDINO & SON are criminals. When they contacted us last season about Target sites, i told them to remove us from their list of contractors. I told them that I have never and I will never sign a contract that i did not write and that we do business only with companies who's values align with our own. I would advise all of you guys to do something similar when they inevitably contact you. If we don't let them take advantage of us, they will have to change their ways or loose the contracts. There is PLENTY of work out there and PLENTY of loyal and fair customers who appreciate and compensate you for a job well done.
  14. derekslawncare

This exactly.
  15. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

When this guy talks, we should listen... BTW, welcome to the site...:waving:
  16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I've been off their list(s) for a long time.

I did post my conversation with a new NSP from a month or so ago. They never did answer my questions. :laughing:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  17. amigacz2

amigacz2 Junior Member

Thanks Plowtoy, i have been on the site to read what everyone has to say for years but haven't posted. Couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one.
    trying to become a more active contributor.
  18. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Your first post on plow site was perfect and I've been saying it for years. Why anyone would use their business to line the pockets of another business blows my mind. May as well get a 9-5 and to hell with making it on your own. If ppl would stop feeding them they would go belly up in a year. All of them. They always find another sucker.
  19. danknight163

danknight163 Member

:laughing:FERRANDINO & SON i still don't know how they are in business oh wait there a bunch of dum asses out there willing to do work for free :laughing: i learnt my lesson 8 years ago had to put a lean on the propriety i did and then the company who owns the land had to pay, FERRANDINO & SON are hacks and should be boycotted and exposed for who they really are thefts, but anyone who want to work for them please pm me i show you why you will get screwed Thumbs Up
    p.s. just read

20. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

It's contradictory, in a couple sections it describes continuous service automatic salting specs. In other sections it describes a 2" trigger, and seems to forbid the other? Maybe I read it wrong? I wouldn't sign it, that's for sure.