1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

funny fuel tank

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by GrissOm Bro's, Aug 7, 2003.

1. GrissOm Bro's

GrissOm Bro's Junior Member

i gota truck with duel tanks and if this isnt too confusing mabe u guys could help me out. on my 89 f-250 i got a switch to switch the tank when it on the up position it reads F when full and E when empty but when i switch to the down position it goes way the hell past F would it be the ground for the tank or the switch
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's most likely a bad sending unit.Very common on the older Ford's.I would give the visable external wiring a look over,but you'll probably find you need a sending unit.

It's all one piece from Ford,and they can be pricey.
  3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Connections On Sending Unit

Fords are prone to corrosion at the connections at the sending units.
    Before you go and get a sending unit you may want to try unplugging and plugging back in the connector several times on the sending unit while someone watches the gauge.
    If you get a better reading on your fuel gauge or a differant reading then clean the terminals on the sender and use a small drill bit to clean the connectors. Also check and back sure none have broken off.
    If you do get it operating or have to replace the unit be sure to coat the connectors with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion .
    :rolleyes: John........