1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Funky MVP operation

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mmaddox, Jan 19, 2012.

1. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

Friend stopped by today looking for a warm shop and help with a MVP Ultra Mount on a F-250. He was the main guy for the largest Western dealer in the state, and wasn't having much luck, so he was a bit desperate. Has tried different modules and controllers, changes fluid and filter, coils and valves. Most of the time it will not lift, when it does, one wings moves rearward. Scoop and V function will not work at all. Float works sometimes. As I do not have a wiring diagram or oil flow lay-out. Pump works as it should. Any suggestions?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well....sounds like he threw everything but the kitchen sink at this....i would say.....try and find out if its an electrcal, or hydro issue. Goto westernplows.com and look up the plow. Then what i would do is either make a breakout box or just a test light. Remove the pos wire from the solenoid, and operate the plow while cking the signal at the coils. Deep down im thinking like a gnd issue, but thats just what i think. Maybe mishnick will chime in on this one

3. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

Currently reviewing the Western on-line files, think I have it narrowed down to a couple coils/valves. Grounds have all been checked and are good. Frustrating part is not only the strange actions but the non-repeatabilty of the problems. Lack of documentation and experience, both can be solved. Looking for someone that might have been down this road before.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

But you said he replaced the coils and valves already? That's why I was saying narrow it down to electrical or hydro.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

This version of the V plow has a large and complex control harness and six valves with a special wire for each coil. If the unit has a few years on it you may have wires that have worn through somewhere between the controller and the plug at the grill. It also has a large cannon plug that joins the controller to the control harness. When you feed the cable through the firewall the plug is not connected to the plug so you have to plug the wires in one at a time in exactly the correct orientation. Is it possible that someone has mixed up some of these wires? If that were the case the problems would be consistant and not come & go.

I recently worked on one with very similar problems to this. To eliminate sticky valves or other hydraulic problems I used a booster to activate the motor and jumped the appropriate coils to force the plow to move through each function. I jumpered it for up, down, scoop, vee, right wing forwar, back, left wing forward, back and finally combined right angle and combined left angle. After doing this I realized that all functions worked fine when hardwired so concluded that it had to be a control wiring issue. Next I tried a different controller and checked the oreintation of the wires in the cannon plug. Wires were good and controller made no difference. No brainer.... has to be the control cable. I connected in a new control wire without stringing it through the firewall, in case it didn't work, and tried it. Sure enough that made the difference. After pulling the old control cable out I found four different places where the wires had all been cut and then reconnected with very low quality connections.

If you think it may be the coils you can test them with a screwdriver by activating that coil / function and see if the steel blad of the screw driver is attracted to the coil. If the magnets work then pull the valve cartraige and then put the coil back on and jump it to 12v. See if the valve transitions freely. You should hear a distinctive click each time you make and break the curcuit. Also check the valves for deformation. The coil should slide on and off with little effort and you shouldn't be able to see or feel and change in diamiter of the shaft under the coil.

6. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

Installed new wiring this morning, and everything worked as it should. Finished the install with tie wraps, and started the truck up to pull it out. Went back to acting up, would only lift when the right wing as activated. Needed to get back to plowing, so will work on it again in the morning, after studying the manual more.

7. Blaine4450

Blaine4450 Member

Hope you got this figured out. But if not I had similiar problems with mine once and it turned out to be one of the 4 amp fuses on the pump. Hope this helps!

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Did you try a different hand control if they go bad it will do funny things

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you replaced the control harness (truck side) and it still acts flaky then it has to be either the hand held controller or the plow side control harness. So see if you can borrow a controller from a friend and try it.