1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Functions working slowly

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tuney443, Oct 28, 2008.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

My 7 year old 9.2 V-plow all of a sudden is working very slowly raising and working the wings.It gets progressively worse to almost nothing.The first time you actuate it,not bad, then it slows right up.Oil was just changed,I checked and cleaned the check valve and relief valve,motor sounds normal,ammeter in truck seems fine,all connections are clean and tight.Any ideas?Hard to believe the pump might be worn that bad--ran fine when I retired it last season.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Classic symptoms of a dieing motor Tuney. Very normal for them to slow down as you work them longer when their on their way out.

If you decide to replace the motor, due so with the updated twin post design one. Removes a number of ground issues many guys have with the older single stud motors.

3. tuney443

What's the easiest/best way to tell if it's the motor B&B? It sure does sound fine.If it is the motor,where's the best place to buy a new one?

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Did you clean the filter.?

When you changed the fluid did you pull the reservoir and clean the filter.
    Does your plow have a 2nd screen in the valve body, if so remove it and clean.
    This screen can go bat also.

hope this helps

5. tuney443

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

7. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Sounds to me like it may be the pump,.. not the motor. I've burned up 3 pumps on my 9.2V the first 3 years I had it, and the first sign each time that the pump was dying is the hydraulics starting to slow down, but my motors have always been fine,... never burned up a motor. But mine also made a little more of a squealing noise as it died, if I remember. A pressure test on the hydraulics will tell you for sure,... the only way plugged screens could be doing this, is if you are having some other problem as well. My issue was that my oil was turning black, because the packing seals in the Smartlocks was disintegrating (for some still-unknown reason). There was so much micro-scopic packing material floating around in my fluid, that my screens were literally sealed off. Other than having some type of outside contamination, I'm not sure what else could cause plugged screens to the point of your hydraulics slowing down to almost stopping. This is what the screen inside the reservoir looks like (the black stuff on it was packing material, and it was completely covered). Seems to me that a dying motor would typically cause electrical problems, not hydraulic ones, (such as excessive voltage draw, etc,... at least that's been my experience). I'd get a pressure test on the hydraulics before buying anything,... hope that helps,...:salute:

reservoir screens (Custom).JPG

Looking inside the reservoir (Custom).JPG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An amp draw test on the motor is the best way to test it...just like a starter motor for example. You should have the trucks battery tested for load output at the same time as well to rule out any possible battery weakness issues.

You have the screen and fluid clean and there is no inlet filter in the valve body on the RT3's so your good to go there.

A couple key comments are what lead to the motor being the issue. The fact that you said this issue began "suddenly"..and the fact that you said "it sounds fine". When the inlet screens become restricted they generally give out a "squeal" under operation...plus the fact that you said that you just cleaned the system rules out a plugged filter. If you had a contamination issue you would know it.

It isn't a worn or damaged pump problem as they don't "suddenly" get slow as they wear. They simply get weak slowly over a long period of time. Unless (such as in AB's case) you have a massive and rather instant internal contamination issue that wipes out the pump. And due to the relatively well sealed design of the hydro's on these Boss's, they have very few pump wear issues due to outside contamination.

And a dieing motor in many cases can "sound fine"...but be weak to the point that it slows the hydro's down. (so will a weak battery).

Get the motor tested ON THE PLOW. If it draws more than approx 140 amps under free conditions...and (or) 220 amps or more against the relief valve (full lift or full wing out) replace it.

Here's a good place for quality motors without the quality price. Forest City Auto Electric

9. tuney443

Thanks everyone--will check it out Wed. hopefully if it's still not raining.

10. tuney443

Took the assembly off today,my reservoir does have 2 screens and they were 30% or so blocked with black gunk.I realize now that I've just done a fluid change every year,never took the reservoir off before.Oopsy.I took the motor to a rebuilder to get it checked out.

11. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I experienced the same problem last year after i changed the fluid and cleaned everything. After several attempts and changing a bunch of parts, (and driving B&B nuts with e-mails LOL) I read in a manual that after you install the silenoids on the valves, you should hand tighten the nuts with a 1/8 wrench turn!!! Thats it. Any further tightening sinks the upper part of the valve into the lower part causing it to malfunction. I hope this helps.

12. tuney443

I should have checked the batteries first.The plow battery,most likely from non-use,simply discharged and obviously didn't put out enough juice to the plow motor.Put a jump on her yesterday after I got the motor back from the rebuilder{just got an examine--clean-up,said it looked real good,7 years of hard use is pretty good] and all is well.Thanks everyone.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear it was a simple fix. :waving:

Next time perhaps I won't put it in parentheses. :)