1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fun for my Thursday

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cet, Jan 20, 2005.

1. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of mine and myself share a shop and we buy bulk salt. Three weeks ago we bought a brand new 325 John Deere skid steere. One of employees asked if he could borrow the skid steere to do loader work at the complex he lives in. He lives day to day and he is working for my friend for the winter only as he is a landscaper in the summer and is laid off. He said he told the lady $60/hour. I told him if it is only 2 hours work it would not be worth taking the machine over there for $120. He thought he could stretch it into 4 hours. My friend phoned me today to chat and I told him he guy was doing the loader work today. He had no idea what I was talking about. He had not been asked, so I explained what was going on. He phoned the guy to see what was happening and he told him he was getting flat fee $600 to do the job. Not bad, our machine, fuel, insurance and maintenance. Well I got the call 2 hours ago. He has driven the machine over a hill and 100' down a 45 degree embankment and no way to get it out. He had already been trying for some time when my friend showed up out of the blue to to see what was going on. He phoned me reluctantly but not knowing what else to do. I had a piece of chain 300' long. We tied it to the skid steere and then to the hitch of my Dodge, then took a rope and put it on my plow harness to the hitch on his Avalanche. I could not believe it but we pulled that machine right back up the hill. I unhooked from the chain and the rope and left. I was so mad that I did not know what to do. Usually when I am that mad I leave, wait to cool down a bit and then handle the situation. I can not believe that he did not flip the machine.

I just thought I would post this. Maybe you guys have some ideas.He does not work for me though.

2. mickman

mickman Senior Member

I'd charge him $590.00 for being stupid. I take it, that will be the last time for him!

3. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

i wouldnt care what his finacial situation is he wouldnt work for me any more and the tractor would be getting a full check up at the local dealer and if anyhting is wrong he gets the bill to fix it being its a brand new tractor. But thats only my thoughts good luck dealing with this situation.
    Evan

4. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

Dealing with a similiar situation here. Let us know what you did. And how it turned out.

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you could call up a tow truck company and see how much it would cost to get the skid steer out. the figure how much it costs to operate the machine per hour, without the operator, then charge him that amount. he needs to learn if you want to pay you are going to pay. if he had told you the truth about what he was doing you probably would still have let him use it.
    As for people that are down on their luck there is only so much help you can give. i work with people that will never learn but always need help. time after time they just don't want to grow up and take responsibility for their action. they are the type that always ask to borrow a couple of bucks for lunch, or ask for some of your lunch, and for those that smoke, ask for a cigarette. ok i am done venting and will get off my soap box. :)

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

1fast4x4
    I am a true believer in second chances. He has seemed sincere sorry and has tried to show it. He is good at what he does and is always willing to go the extra mile. There is more then just him involved as there is his wife and child. He does not work for me but my friend and he was even madder then me. He will still have his job but that machine does not leave the shop.

04superduty
    We have not come up with a financial outcome yet but there has to be one. Not that will will ask him for money but he will not pocket as much as he would have if none of this had happened. He actually tried to get a tow truck company to come but no one would try.

I have cooled down now and am grateful that the machine and he are in one piece. That would have been quite a ride down the hill. This thing was steep with a fence and a forest at the bottom.

7. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

It is too bad that you didn't have a digital camera with you, you could have posted a few pics for us.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I thought about that on the way home. But I was in no mood to take pictures. Now I wish I had a few for the next time someone asks to borrow(rent) the machine.