1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fully restored 1986 Comanche...4.0 I6

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by MOWBIZZ, Jan 1, 2010.

1. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Would like an opinion of the knowledegable, Jeep folks on the site of a 1986 fully restored Jeep comanche 2 door 4wd pickup. This truck looks perfect and I plan on at least, taking a test drive with it in the coming week.
    1. the selling price is $8499 (your comments)
    2. How reliable would this be for a daily driver or is it best suited for a collector's garage?
    3. What kind of fuel mileage would this possibly, get? (4 liter Inline 6 Automatic trans)
    4. What would the parts availability be for a 24 year old vehicle?
    5. It has been restored by a Chrysler/Jeep dealer.
    I haven't asked them what the engine restoration details are but they say it has "one mile" on the odometer...

Feel free to give your honest thoughts about this vehicle...thanks!:drinkup:
    (PS: they also have a Fisher plow available for it)

1986 comanche1.jpg

1986 comanche2.jpg

1986 comanche3.jpg

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

id never pay 8500 for that thing, i dont care if its fully restored its still an 86. id take that 8500 and buy a 2000+ wrangler if you want a jeep.

3. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I am looking for a wrangler...just wanted some opinions.

Thanks for your thoughts.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sweet truck but I don't know I'd use it as a plow truck. It's basically a Cherokee with a PU body and its 24 years old even if it has a new motor. Does not have the turning radius of a wrangler, or even a liberty. Could be a nice daily driver though. I'd guess you'd see about 15mpg..

5. FBNemo

FBNemo Junior Member

6. steel24

steel24 Junior Member

comanche

It's a cool truck.. i have a 1988 comanche 2.5l 2wd short bed i bought for $700 and also another '88 comanche 2.5l longbed 4x4 ($100) for parts to convert my 2wd comanche.

As for gas, my 2.5 gets great mpg's.
    as for price.. i'd never spend that much on this truck. It's a cool truck but for that price you should never decide to plow with it... i have a 1999 TJ 2.5l with a sno-way plow and it does great. A TJ with plow for $8500 is money well spent... you can enjoy the TJ in the summertime too..

Parts for these trucks (MJ) are kinda hard to find. Most junk yards have a few of them but they are picked over pretty good.

They are kind fun to work on and they have a cool site comancheclub.com as stated in another post.
    you can get a lot of questions answered there.

7. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Okay guys the trend seems to be stay away from it as a work truck...looks like the wrangler will be the way to go...and yes I think this truck is very cool too. Too many variables on owning it and dealing with potential parts availability. Would be cheap to register and insure though...:D

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

One of my friends had one of those in high school and I remember how much I liked it. Probably hard to find one in better shape. Good luck with your decision I know nothing about them to comment.

9. oldrusty

oldrusty Junior Member

While I do agree the price is on the steep side I have to say I love my mj (comanche). I have an 89 lwb 4x4 with a 4.0 liter and a 5 spd. Its my every day driver / work truck. I get 17-20mpg regularly driving back and forth to work even with a 4 inch lift and the snowplow bracketry.
    [​IMG]

10. SalvageTitleTJ

SalvageTitleTJ Junior Member

What town is the vehicle for sale in?????? I may know the vehicle.

11. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

It's for sale in Massachusetts, but I don't know where it came from...why do you say you may know it?
    What would your opinion of buying this and using it as a daily driver and backup plow vehicle?

12. SalvageTitleTJ

SalvageTitleTJ Junior Member

Normally I never would recommend buying this. Though if the guy selling got it very recently from a Jeep Dealership in NH it might be worth looking into. If it is the one I know it will have a newer HO engine look for the round 1999 intake. Will also have a 99 transmission and computer. Lastly the rare factory Dana 44 cherokee rear end. If you see thos things there is a good chance it is it. If it has all those pieces put up another post. I would also beat the price down to 4,500.00

13. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

OK, thanks...I'll check that out and post what I find.