1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fullsize or mini light bar?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ratlover, Jul 10, 2003.

1. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I tried a search for some pics but didnt really come up with what I was loking for.

I'm trying to decide on a full size or mini light bar for my 03 black chevy reg cab. I am going to run halogen. I like the full size for all the features but dont know how it would look on my truck. If I go with a mini I can always put brake and turnsignal and working lights on the headache rack I will build.

Regardless I am going to build a headache rack and steal the idea of making it look like a bowtie and mount it on that.

Any pics or oppinions on mini vrs fullsized? Any opinions on the ones I'm looking at or ones I should look at.

Here is what I am looking at fullsize(yes I know its overkill) http://netserver2.lindner.com/fshdcatalog2001.nsf/html_jetseries.html?OpenPage&charset=iso-8859-1

and mini would be http://netserver2.lindner.com/fshdc...i-jet_series.html?OpenPage&charset=iso-8859-1

TIA and all oppinions are welcome :)

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd go full size,I like lights :cool:

I'd go with a combo of halogens and strobes,you'll have the best of both worlds.

3. ratlover

from IL

I actually wanted to go total stealth with hideaways. I have a hide away strobe control box deal that I was going to use for UW rescue but decided against using it for my plow truck since the strobes seem to screw with my eyes in heavy snow :dizzy:

So beings I cant be sneaky I need to figure out if bigger looks better if its going to be seen anyway.....

The mini jet edge would give me plenty of warning. it has 2 95FPM rotators and a single 175 FPM rotator.

the fullsize has brakelight/turnsignals, DOT lights, 2 forward flashers, 2 work lights(I would wire with my reverse lights) and 2 175FPM rotators

I like over kill though :nod:

Just want to know what it will look like when it isnt flashing........

4. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

I agree go full size with rotators and flashers etc with some nice hideaway strobes.

Lights are great! :D

5. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

That fullsize bar would look good on that new truck!! Go for it:drinkup:

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

nothing like having alot of lights.the more the better.I like the jm-fast mini give you alot of light and you could put seperate strobes on each side with hidaways in your front and back lights.

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I think that the more lights the better, as long as the electrical system can handle it.

I'm not particularly attracted to the rounded dome style, but I think the fullsize bar with the DOT lights, work and stt lights is a great idea!

-John

8. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

light bars

Well I hate to be the only one to disagree, but heres my opinion...
    More lights are not better. If you have one good, bright stobe or an ugly rotating beacon, it's best. You can throw in some corner hideaway stobes or something that set your truck off, but offer no real lighted protection. (they just look cool to other plow guys)
    My experience is this...My full time job is a cop. Been doing it for a decade. Been plowing longer than that.
    What do most people do when they're flying down the freeway and see a bunch of lights at a wreck going the other way...They slow down (rubber kneckers) and look at all the pretty lights. Nevermind the traffic behind them, or in front of them or the secondary response vehicles.
    If you dress your truck up with the most lights you can, you'll have people looking at your lights and not at you rolling towards them. Also, if you have more than one truck in a lot, the moron motorists won't look at, or see additional trucks. Their eyes will be glued to the bright lights on thruck thats in front of them
    So, to restate my take on lights: keep it bright, simple, and in moderation. The goal is to alert and warn, not to put on a 4th of July show.

Jay

9. ratlover

from IL

Well as long as they see my truck they aint going to hit me and thats all I'm trying to accomplish :p

Actually I agree with what you are saying and agree. The warning power between the fullsized and a mini light bar is actally pretty much the same. The mini's I am looking at have 2 rotators. The fullsized has 2 rotators and 2 front facing flashers(wish they were pointed back but oh well) So the bar itself isnt really that nutty. It does have brakelight/turnsignal and work lights alsong with a DOT strip but those dont really add to the 4th of july show so to speak.

This is what will be here hopefully tues http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/ca...id=5586&secid=68&linkon=subsection&linkid=104

I dont like strobes or hide aways for the reason that they tend to bounce back in heavy snow. Also rotators seem to light up around you a bit better so can kinda use them to see. JMO

I do plan on adding a set of hide aways in the front and the back since I already have a box for it. I figure if I am parked on the side of the road doing other construction work I can hit just them if there isnt much of a threat from traffic. That way I wount be lighting up the world and it wont be much of a juice drain.

A fullsized or a mini.....it wasnt a question of warning since a mini would be more than adaquate. When I figured what it would cost to mount work lights and brake light/turn lights onto my head ache rack it wasnt much more to go to a fullsized. I just was wanting some oppinions on what looked better on a truck while off.

Thanks for all the input though guys. I will try to post some pics when I get her all done.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Little Jay is correct. There have been studies done that show the more lights, the more flashes per minute, the less visible it is. It is acutally recommended at accident scenes that every vehicle but the one furthest back shut their warning lights off because of the distraction it causes. It doesn't get done (yet) at least not around here. I'll admit, I'm guilty of not shutting mine off if I'm EO, but it does make sense.

Think of it this way, you want people to notice you, but not glue their attention to you. Most people already have a hard enough time driving in snow, and then you want to blind them with warning lights too?

11. ratlover

from IL

I understand what you are saying and I'm not arguing.....I am seriously asking. Do you think 2 95 FPM rotators and 2 forward flashers is excessive or going to blind someone? I really dont think its excessive but thats JMO. (theone I wanted was 175fpm and a bit narrower but I can get this one for 200$ less)

The bit about as long as they dont hit me was in jest. The reason I'm sticking a big hunk-o-orange on the top of my truck is mostly for my saftey but its also for the saftey of others.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I think that would be fine. I used to have the fast rotatos on several different light bars, but any new ones I buy I only get the slower rotators like 95-100 FPM.

Our FD's new Excursion has an MX7000 with halogen rotators and LED flashers to the front. The LED's are brighter than the rotators. Actually, IMO, the way it is set up now the rotators were a waste of money. Too late now though.

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I should have been more specific in my statement. I think that lights look cool, sure, who doesn't? However, I have found that (at least around here, and with the trucks/lights I have seen) the ones with the minibars are much more visable than the trucks with single or double flash strobe beacons. I have an ECCO 5135 with two 95fpm rotators and an angle mirror. I also plan to have two rear-facing remote strobe heads mounted in my toolbox. They would seldom be used at the same time, in fact, they would probably never be used at the same time.

It's my truck, I wanted to get the Minilight bar, I thought it was a bright flash, in a small package, and unlike strobes, there is always light somewhere, in the 360° path. That was my desiscion, I never said one was better than the other, or that my choice was the "right choice" Sorry If I offended anyone.

14. Tim C

Tim C Member

light bar suggestions

I use whelen dual rotery mini light bar. two day lighters mounted to a Backrack and it works great.

Let It Snow ***** Tim C

15. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I have decided to go with mini lightbar. I figured that they would look nicer and better than a full size lightbar on a personal truck. IMO the full lightbar in amber should be for those highway crew and towing truck. I don't believe you need a full size lightbar when plowing driveways or parking lots. I believe that mini lightbar is sufficient and easier on electrical system.

Little Jay has some good points. You would want lights that is brigt but not too much that you would light up the entire block. Also it could be annoying to a few of residential customers, if any, when you have lights show truck.

I do like lights, but I don't want to overdo it, making it looks like an overkill.

16. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I have a Whelen 2022 strobe beacon (single strobe) light on my Wrangler. I chose the strobe since it uses little power.

It is set at the factory at "quint" (5) flash, I could set it at double, rapid, or action flash. I suppose the double would be two brighter flashes instead of the 5 weaker flashes. :confused: I wonder which would be most effective :confused:

EDIT:
    reading all these threads about warning lights is giving me the itch to get more lights. BTW, I have taillight strobes too (45watt pack).

-John :cool:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  17. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We have been happy with the Whelen full size bars. This one has outboard strobes, 100W flood lights and inboard halogen flashers. They are all on seperate switches. In a busy parking lot we usually use only the strobes. In a deserted warehouse lot we might use just the flashers. I agree that too much light is both distracting to other drivers and annoying.

18. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Sorry, here's the picture.

im000086.jpg

19. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Full bars are cool for sure :D All this time I thought I would be an a$$hole if I had more than a single strobe :D :confused:

Those who have full lightbars: do you turn it on while doing driveways?

-John :cool:

20. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I never shut it off.Soon as I leave my house it goes on and then goes off when i pull back in.