1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Full Trip force

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowtime, Oct 26, 2005.

1. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

So I was doing some research... (thinking about full trip vs. trip edge).

The springs that most plows use have about 350lbs of preload. That's 4 springs, 1400 lbs total preload. The plows that I've looked at have like 20" from pivot to spring mount and 8" from pivot to pavement. So that's a 2.5x multiplier on the force required to open the springs.

The spring angle decreased the force requred by some amount (cos of the spring angle) - so up to .5 or more I suppose (I'll have to go see what a typical spring angle is)
    That puts the trip force at the cutting edge to still well over 1000 lbs. :dizzy:

So think of that next time you run in to a curb... :waving:

And by all means, if my back of the envlope calcs are wrong please correct me - cause I never imagined it would be that high.

If you're wondering - I called a company that sells plow springs for the numbers - they are straight from the spring manufacturer.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

How much force does a 5000lb truck rolling at even 10mph into an immovable object apply?
  3. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

Well, yeah, that's the thing. Certainly more than enough the trip the blade.

Its been a while, but lets see. The average collision force is m*dv/dt.
    If we work backwards to find dv/dt, lets say we want 1000lbs of force, so we need dv/dt=.2, so if the truck decelerates by .2 ft/sec in 1 second, it will trip the blade.

.2ft/sec~ .14 mph

This isn't the impact force, which would be much higher. But you are right, it doesn't take much with a 5000lb rolling truck...
  4. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

The next question is how many times can you put 1000+ lbs of impact loading on your frame?