1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Full Trip Blade to Trip Edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by linckeil, Mar 10, 2015.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i've always run full trip blades - primarily westerns. i've never even driven a truck with a trip edge blade. i'm considering the purchase of a used truck from a buddy that has a fisher plow on it.

should i expect any noticable differences between the 2 plow designs? are there any behaviors that i have become accustomed to using full trip blades that I need to change if using a trip edge design?

this thread isn't intended to be a "what's better" discussion. i just want to understand if there is anything a operator should be aware of if making the transition from one design to the other.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Watch plowing against curbs. There are pins that hold the trip edge on that will get worn off. Also pay attention to cutting edge wear, where the edge down too far and it will wear off the mounting points for trip springs.

3. linckeil

from CT

good advice - i've seen plenty of fisher plows without a cutting edge that get worn down so badly that there is nothing for the bottom of the compression springs to mount to. thats just a complete lack of maintainance and common sense, but i've seen a few fishers like that.

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I run both,a blizzard and a fisher mc.I have no preference.If set properly they are both ok.Personally I like the trip edge,but not based on any real reason,maybe because that's what I've used more. I very rarely trip either,nice lots by and far.Just plow,no adjustment to method needed unless you're ocd and start imagining things lol

5. linckeil

from CT

i do a bit of back-blading. always had pretty good succuss with the western. but i've heard that trip edges aren't so good for back blading? can anyone speak from experience?

6. leigh

from CT

Never noticed a difference,except for my fisher 10' mc,tough to out back drag a plow that weigh 20 million lbs lol (1400lb)

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Depends on the snow consistency. Powder backblades good but wet snow tends to get packed down easily. Look into a backdrag edge.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Trip edges saves transmissions......

9. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

What???????????????????????????

10. kimber750

It's true, I read it on the internet. Also it has been said here many times. Thumbs Up

11. leigh

from CT

No wonder everyones confused,you left out a word, "Ford"

12. kimber750

They have Ford trip edges? :rolleyes:

13. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Yup Didn't save my Dodge

That fisher will trip more violently than your flop down plow. It will wake you right up.:D

14. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have an old diamond trip edge with the springs mounted horizontally. No spring mounts to wear out, no special tools to change them, hidden out of the way and great design.

[​IMG]

15. leigh

from CT

Wasn't it known as the 6.0?

Sorry,I have no idea what I'm talking about!:eek:

16. linckeil

from CT

TJ - i'm not all that fimiliar with diamond plows, but i thought they had vertical springs? were they originally horizontal like you show, and then went to vertical in later years? if so, what are the approximate year ranges for the different spring styles?

17. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes they went vertical I think when they went "Meyer/Diamond". The older diamond tanks have them horizontal. If you see a horizontal one you know it is definitely the older ones.