1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Full time snow, or 9-5?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beanz27, Feb 22, 2013.

What do you do?

1. Snow only

37 vote(s)
  2. Work full time, plow on the side

31 vote(s)
  3. Retired and plow to pass the time

0 vote(s)
  4. Full time snow, work elsewhere part time also

14 vote(s)
  1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So I'm curious who is full time only snow, how many have jobs and plow on the side, or if your retired and do it to pass the time?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I plow 24/7

could be last year for me, to many will plow for "beer $$"
  3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

snow in the winter landscaping in the summer
  4. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I go to school full time and plow when I don't have school.
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Work full time and plowed when I could when I had a plow. When I plowed in Mass, I worked and plowed my drives in between. I miss my driveway route....
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm primarily snow 24/7 with random stuff in between. The rest of the year is a mix of farming, custom hauling, driving semi, vehicle and equipment repair, preventive maintenance, and modification. I more or less do a little bit of everything related to country/farm life.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  7. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Same here brother. 140 contracts getting sent out next week. I can't wait for spring!
  8. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

work full time and plow for the Town when they call.
  9. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

Plow full time and own concessions company for spring, summer and fall!
  10. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Full time rental property owner, and part time snow plow operator.
  11. bln

bln Senior Member

Full time plow, insurance agent in my "free time."
  12. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

full time plowing, salting, rebuilding meyer plow pumps and repairs in winter months . building, sideing, roofing- constrution in summer months. been doing it for myself for 28 years. before that i did it for others for 5 years .love the money hate the hours . full time is not 40 hours a week when its for yourself its more like 60 to 80 or more .:waving:
  13. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Did it full time for the past few years at least...but this year got a job with health insurance and just don't go to that job when it snows. I do my site checks in the morning on my way in to work and paperwork at night and all my business errands on Saturdays. It feels like 2 full time jobs. I dissolved the lawn mowing side last year, due to alot of overtime at work in the summer, but I'll likely sneak my way back in soon. With so much of my snow income being seasonal, it seemed like a no brainer to work when it wasn't snowing, I've more than doubled my personal income this way. It's just really nice when your employer doesn't care if you call in to do other work.
  14. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i work full time for a truck upfitter 8-430, all my plowing is after work or on the weekends on the side.
  15. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

landscape in the summer and plow in the winter....work some odd jobs when the snow isnt falling.
  16. s10driv

s10driv Junior Member

snowplowing fulltime construction spring summer fall.
  17. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Snow plowing full time. Own an auto repair shop full time also. Employees man the shop when it's snowing.
  18. eastcoastjava

eastcoastjava Senior Member
    from Boston

College, Grounds full time at a golf course may-december with OT, Snow when ever.
  19. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

E. I plow my own stuff only.

Back in ancient history, when I joined this site, I was plowing for the state. If I was plowing, we weren't doing roofs anyway.

So there's a strong value that some people on this site have about plowing the whole time the storm is running, where it is a duty to forego sleep, family, illness, personal needs, etc to make sure nobody ever has to walk on a single flake. This became evident in the discussions about the recent Blizzard that we experienced in the northeast. Any thoughts on that issue from the folks who plow after hours only?
  20. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

work fulltime and own a lawn and snow company ,been doing this for 23 years now .