1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Full Time Job Problems?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NorthernILPlwr, Jan 20, 2007.

1. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

So heres my situation...

I am a "part time" pusher. I am a subcontractor for a snow removal company. I also am a Service Manager and an Automotive Tech. at an independant auto repair shop.

Before the last snowfall I called my boss and wanted to let him know that I might be a little late getting in in the morning because I would be out plowing. I was talking an hour to an hour and a 1/2 at the most. He flipped and told me that plowing was a "part time" thing and that I have a commitment here and blah blah blah. He told me if I wasnt in at 7:30 I could find another job.

Now I wasnt asking for the whole day off. Ive told him how much I make per hour plowing. I make more in one hour plowing than I do spending all day at work. Im not asking for much.

Has anyone else run into this? What did you do?

BTW In exchange for letting me keep my plow inside I plow his lot free of charge. That Is the deal we set up.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Sounds like a as#@le boss. I know some will say you are expected to be in and to a point I agree. But, he knows you plow and in most cases the only victim's of car trouble when it is snowing and cold are no-starts.

If I was the boss it would depend how you did your job the rest of the year and since you are saving me(the owner) money on snow plowing I might cut you a break.

He sounds like he wants to take advantage of you. Free plowing just for parking the blade inside? f-that.
  3. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

I had the same problem a few years ago. I plowed part time for myself and worked a full time job. My boss told me that I had to be at work by 6 and if I wasn't then I could find a different job. I can see why my boss did this, they are counting on you to get a job done and cant move things around to accommodate plowing. Basically, by calling in a saying you are going to be an hour and a half late, you really are saying "Put my job on the back burner, I'll be in when I want. Why was it necessary to tell your boss how much you make plowing?
  4. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

I actually didnt tell him an amount just that I made more in an hour that a full day there. I wasnt cocky when i said it, he asked and I told him.

I told him I'd do my best to be in on time but that I may run a little late. But I will be there. He knows I keep my word. I knew that day we had 1-2 cars coming in for the whole day. (Normally we have 10-12) So i knew it was going to be dead and It could be handled for the little amount of time I would be late. It was dead.....we cleaned the shop the whole day. I actually lost money just driving there.

REAPER - The lot is very small.....takes about 5-10 minutes to do. I feel its a good trade off. I live in a condo so i really have nowhere else to store it. I have keys and an alarm code to the shop so I pretty much have 24 hour access all the time. Id much rather keep it inside so it doesnt get vandalized (some friends had hoses cut and guides stolen).
  5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

It does not matter how much you make per hour plowing. If you hired someone to do sidewalk worrk you would expect them to show up on time period. So what makes your employer any different, enless you are making more plowing than you do for the whole year working as a tech then your obligation is to your employer. You have a dicission to make either work full time and plow at night and weekends but at least be loyal to your boss seeing how he does give you a paycheck for your work.
  6. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

I would absolutely agree with you if I were calling in to say i wont be in at all because im tired and need sleep. I ended up working 23 hours straight between plowing and my ft job. He shows up at the same time I do. Without fail. He has ahndled the shop while im on vacation or sick. He is more than capable of doing it himself. My problems is with his response. Ive been a faithful employee and to tell me i can find another job if im not there on time, i felt like I was 16 working at jewel for 5.50 an hour.

He knows that money is a hot commidity in my house. I work very hard to put food on the table. If I have an oppourtunity to make some extra money to support my family then im sure as hell going to take it. My family comes first.

I work in a small town. Everyone knows who I am. He is fairly new to the town and its not well known. A lot of customers come to the shop because they trust me.

I have had job offers elsewhere making more money than I am now. But as I said I am a faithful employee. I dont jump ship at the first sign of greener grass on the other side of the fence. Yes money is important but so is trust.

Honsetly I was just taked aback at his response. I felt it was uncalled for. I figured he would be a little understanding and try to work womething out with me rather than threaten my job.
  7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I worked the auto tech business for 15 years unfortunately there are alot of owners and manager that don't think that way and will replace you with either one or two people it's just their mindset, anyway good luck and hope you can make lots of money, but remember this that family time is more important than money.
  8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, I don't mean to come across unsympathetic to your situation, and sometimes I need to bite my tongue when there's nothing good to say. Who the F*#& are you to "let him know" you're doing anything other than being at the job he's so graciously providing you to put food on the table?

Why SHOULD he, and why are you deciding how he should run the shop?

I don't know you, so this isn't an attack on you personally. However, it might seem that you could have a problem with authority. I applaud your dedication to providing for a family, but when someone else is boss & you take certain liberties as a subordinate, you're gonna get flack for it. Could he have also handled things better -- probably! But until you own or run the place, you have to know your position in the food chain. You don't tell bosses what you're going to do or not do, and the job you are reporting to for a certain time each day, each week needs to be respected a little more or he might find someone who handles authority better.
  9. BobC

BobC Senior Member

The key here is he hired you I assume as a full time employee. If you make more plowing get a part time job as a mechanic. No insult intended but it's like your telling your boss you will show up after you take care of the more important things.
  10. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I understand where he is coming from he needs you at work on time to complete your daily job. But that dosn't give him the right to threaten your job. I have been plowing for 10 years now as an Independant contractor and sub contractor and everyone of my employers have been very understanding with me about plowing or even a second job.I let them know right off the bat that I do snow removal in the winter months and there will be days that I will be late or not in at all.But not everyone is so luck with employers.
  11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Find another job.
    C'mon, it's snowing, no one gets to work on time anyway.
    Are you salaried or hourly?
    Cuz if you are hourly, then your boss is out nothing.
    If you are salary and there was nothing to do (cleaned the shop all day) then he's still out nothing.
    I'd start taking sick days. (you know, people do get sick and not work) and just call in.
    What a joke, sorry, your boss is a jerk.
  12. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

I know how it goes. I was up front with my boss about no county maint and having to plow myself out and I do not plow for an extra income. I just had to get to the main road then I'd be in. He was fine with it but now that we are having a hellish winter he turning into a flaming a$$ about it. He is perfectly happy when I am there 50+ hours a week but when I am there 38-40 hours he has absolute red faced screaming fits, personally I am beginning to enjoy being late. Hoping he has a heart attack and drops dead one morning. The funny part is I gave him my notice and he refused it after interviewing the only 6 people to apply for my job who he felt were unqualified so he's basically SOL, if he fires me he is cutting his own throat.
  13. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know you as well. But I would never think of cutting out on my fulltime job to plow. If there is a conflict I take vacation or do a time trade with a co-worker.

That job is not your job, it belongs to the company you work for. You have been hired to work in that job. If the worker that was hiired to fill a job isn't there when he is supposed to be, without reason (vacation, trade, etc.) then the employer is getting the short end of the deal.

Although your boss didn't handle it very well....he is right. My guess is that by neglecting your fulltime regular income job and potentially getting fired you are putting the welfare of your family at greater risk vs. the benefit of the part-time income of plowing......

Getting caught abusing sick time is a great way to get fired as well......

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  14. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Unless you had an agreement ahead of time...

Sell the plow... Unless you had an agreement ahead of time then you are risking your bread and butter for a hobby!!!
    I was a service manager for a power sports dealer and lucky for me I had trained a couple of good service writers and a couple not so good ones,lol I also had a shop foreman that would pitch in when I was plowing.That being said that was part of my deal in running the service department long before the snow ever fell...
    If it was an either or situation I could live very comfortable off my service managers income but not so comfortably off my plowing income(less than 1/4 what I made running the shop)....
    Maybe you can come to terms with him before the next storm...Best of luck.
  15. jasf

jasf Member

If you only had 1-2 jobs coming in I don't see a problem. If one of my guys wanted some time & it was slow I'd give it to him no problem. I don't want to pay a guy to stand around & if he can make more money pushing snow I'm all for it. I know my guys will be there for me when it gets busy so I try to give it back.
  16. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Your priority's are screwed up.Do the simple math.Do you make more plowing in a year as a sub or for the auto repair?Thought so.You just wanted to go have some fun in the snow like all of us and make the quick cash.But you made plowing seem more important than your full time job.I am not bashing you 1 bit just telling you like I read it.

17. jasf

jasf Member

I don't think his priorities are screwed up. As long as he was upfront & it was slow what's the big deal? I need to keep good & honest employees. If it costs me 10 hrs a year So what. I want happy workers -If they are out plowing snow & making money(not costing me)that's a good deal for both of us!
  18. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I hate to say this,,but that attitude sucks..I doubt you even know why I am saying that..Figure that out and your "Boss" Issues will go away....
  19. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The solution is really very simple. The boss has expectations. He has communicated those expectations to you. Now it is your decision whether you want to meet those expectations.

Your deal with him for plowing snow is irrelevant to the issue.
    The money you make plowing is irrelevant to the issue.
    Him being able to "handle the shop" is irrelevant to the issue.
    You being a "faithful employee" is irrelevant to the issue.
    Him being new to the area is irrelevant to the issue.
    The size of the town is irrelevant to the issue.

You've had offers for other jobs for more money and are unhappy where you are? The answer seems built in.
  20. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Ahh men!!!!