1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Full time job and plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by canadianplower, Sep 4, 2009.

1. canadianplower

canadianplower Junior Member

Does anyone here have a full time job and plow before or after work? I work from 8:30 to 5 Monday to Friday and want to plow but don't see how I can with the hours I work. Is there such a contract that anyone has that specifies times when you will be plowing? Like snow plowed before 7:30 and after 5? I was thinking some business' may like this that way their lot is actually done better as there would be no cars in the way.

Your feedback is appreciated.tymusic
  2. Rustygold89

Rustygold89 Junior Member

Companies always have their parking lots plowed overnight usually(From what I've seen first hand, but I have no exp., so I'm just helping you with a quick answer), I work at a grocery store and they always plow it at about 2 AM, have all of the associates move their cars to another side and plow the other end, that way it is fresh tar in the morning for customers and the whole lot is plowed since there are little to no cars in the way like you said. Then that same guy drives down the road and plows another store, most businesses that have big parking lots have it done overnight and I guess in the day if it is heavy. I don't know about small businesses but I'd think they'd want it done early morning and whatever they say threw the day.
  3. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

That is awesome.

Sure, you could do it. I work 7-3:30pm but have it worked out with my FT employer to come in at 9am on snow days and not be penalized, other than lost wages. What I would suggest, is do some Sub work. Find a sub that can keep the lots open while you're at work etc and then complete the snow removal at night like "most of us always usually do." Businesses will need and want their lots completely cleared by opening hours. If business opening is 7:00am and the storm subsides at 5:00am, you'd better get trucking.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  4. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

I have a regular gig 9-5:30 and honestly all my plowing was done overnight last year or after I got off work. Most business understand your not going to plow during biz hours because of cars. That is unless it is a bank or gas station which you might have to at least clean a drive path for them until later.
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I have to disagree with the above statements... unless your subbing, plowing and a full time job don't mix......Think of it this way.... you get a snow event and say it snows 6", you fail to plow till the end of the event resulting in a dangerous condition....can you see were this is heading, ... yup someone slips and falls and you've got all your profits gone for the season.... unless your subbing or doing resi's don't do it...JMO

Good luck
  6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Agreed.........if you have a full time job, subbing is the best way to go. Just be up front with your contractor about your job and the hours you are not available.
  7. Dei Gloriam

Dei Gloriam Junior Member

Last year I worked solo and had 70+ residentials and a few commercials, all customers understood I had a full time job during the day. All my plowing was done after work and overnights. The customers were aware of this. On heavy snow days, my "full time job boss" would allow me to take the day off, with one of my holiday picks.

I've expanded this year and have made arrangements for extra drivers (for the day time hours) and shovelers, I was just too tired some days at my other job!

I would also take my sons out with me during the evening to spend time with them. An understanding wife also helps!

It can work with the right client base. Residentials can be more understanding. Like anyone else, they pay money, they just want to make sure your going to show up. Be upfront with them. At the end of the year I had great feedback from them all.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The two keys for making it work.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not only does the client base need understand, you really need a flexible boss. If you head to work with two or three inches down and it's still coming, you are going to have some unhappy customers with 8 or 10 inches in the drive when they get home.

I wouldn't even touch commercials your first year out at this point.
  10. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I always clear the snow as it's falling usually :p
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

doing it that way can you completely get most of it?
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I always completely get most of it usually
  13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I only completely get most of it usually some of the time. :eek:
  14. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

What were we talking about again????????????........................Oh yeah...................

I usually get most of it, well sometimes all of it, most of the time, usually ;)
  15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

We need SNOW!
  16. probably not an option when you are starting out but reliable guys that can go out for you during the day for large storms or clean outs can make working a ful time gig a very real option. If your a solo operator doing commercial (IMO) isn't wise anyways because just as if your not availiable (at work) your in trouble, one truck can lead to the same problem. the jump from one to two is the hardest after that it gets easier, in my case anyways. have to agree drives or subbing best start
  17. canadianplower

canadianplower Junior Member

Looks like a 50/50 split. I don't have the equipment yet and didn't want to put out the 20+k if it wasn't realistic. I don't have an understanding boss so I would have to be at work regardless of the amount of snow down.
    I did prop maint. 3 years ago but gave it up when I had to move and see the potential for it where I live now. I know I can get a ton of grass contracts in the summer but wanted to see about snow removal as well. I am 46 and would rather work my a$$ off now then have to work until I am 75. (recession kicked me in the ba!!s). So this is "why" I want to get back in. Thanks for the feedback so far, it is all good and helping me decide.
  18. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

id say you should be fine as a sub. i did it last year. told my boss first thing when i got hired that had a full time job and my time constraints and he was pretty cool with it. each time he called me to go out, i just told him when i had to be done and we were cool. i did commercial so usually he just had a few truck cruisin around during the day clearing paths and what not until we could come back at night and take care of the whole lot. it worked out real well for me.
  19. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Subbing is the way to go for right now.
  20. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I have a fulltime job, have my own contracts ,and sub. AND......I only completely get most of it usually some of the time always, unless you count the times when I don't completely complete all of them which is unusual most of the time usually.:dizzy: