1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Full Tank of Fuel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ferdinand711, Nov 4, 2008.

1. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

How many hours of plowing does your full tank go and on what truck?

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

varies alot on the "wetness of snow" how heavy it is makes a big difference

i would say on avg. all my CTD, (gen 2) gets 12-14 hours , my 2001 ram , gasser, gets 6-8 max

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I was just thinking about this today on my drive home.....I have yet to plow with my truck, but get 10-12 mpg per tanks towing/daily driving.

2001 2500hd 6.0L gas.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

5.9 Cummins about 16-18 hours.

Depends on how much snow, how much drive time between accounts.

I've got a new 6.7 Cummins with a 52 gallon tank.

Hopefully that goes more than 20 hours. :D

5. country_boy

country_boy Junior Member

my 91 ford with the 460 ci with both tanks filled will get 12 hours tops. my other trucks, chevy with 6.0 and my 5.8l ford about 14-16hrs

6. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

country boy you got it about right with the chevy 6.0, i run the same motor. I have noticed, however, that when the snow is not too deep and i add a little extra ballast and keep it out of 4wd as much as possible i can stretch it a little bit.

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I get 4-6mpg with mine

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

My V-10 Ford gets 5-7mpg while plowing in 4WD.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

98 chevy 5.7/350- 10-12hrs will put me around 1/4 tank. About 15-16 gallons of fuel used iirc.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

best i've done on my 2003 Duramax is is 22 hours on 20 gallons

11. country_boy

Yes sir JCI Trans. I should do it more especially since i always have salt and sand in the back. at least 2200lbs. i am going to watch it a little bit more carefully this year. pkus i got a new test dummy. a ranger with a 6'6" western straight blade. i cant wait to see what it can do.

12. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

04' F-350 dually 6.0L I will be back at home in bed before I run out of diesel. I plowed 24-25 hrs straight last yr and still had a little over a 1/4 tank, but I do have a 38 gallon tank:D

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Listen I've plowed through a full tank of fuel in my 07 SD 6.0, when I got to the gas station it said I was getting like 6 MPG, I reset the trip, plowed through 1/2 of the second tank and it said 2 MPG :dizzy:

My buddy was asking what it would take to get to zero :eek:

14. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Regular cab long box
    6.6 Duramax

16 hours

15. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

You guys, especially with the diesels let em run the whole time?

When i do my route on my own, just mainly salting, i salt the lot, then get out and hand salt spreader the sidewalks, runs the whole time since it doesnt take very long. Any of you turn it off a lot?

16. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

None of us can really compare mpg numbers here...

plower #1 plows with a ford 6.0L and hes pushing 90% of the time, and the snow is 25" tall
    plower #2 plows with a 5.9L dodge and pushes 50% of the time and 6" tall
    plower #3 plows with a 6.6L chevy and pushes 75% of the time, started at 4" and plowed some at 30"

its like comparing "towing" mpg when some tow box trailers, others tow flat trailers and othesr tow through mountains, others flat, and between 4,000lbs - 23,000 lbs :/

Its neat to hear everyone jot down their input though :)

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

you know whats really cool is that some of these guys are driving over 15+hrs on a tank, if they were on the expressway a tank wouldnt last that long so in actuality you use less gas plowing then you do driving across state...timewise that is :p

18. country_boy

i never turn my trucks off though either, both my gasser trucks and my diesel run 24/7. my trucks have good days and bad days, sometimes i can plow longer than others. by the way where in the hell is the snow. i am in colrado and we havent had a lick of snow. what about ya'll else where?

19. capnsac

capnsac Member

Do you have a chip, exhaust, intake?

20. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Speaking of expressway driving. . .

Same truck, 5.5 hours to other end of province, sit, and 5.5 hours back. . . whole tank and a jerry can too. and slide in the driveway on vapours.