1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

full size lightbar mounting to a protech headach rack

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cat10, Mar 25, 2014.

1. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

how are u guys mounting ur full size lightbars to a protech headach rack i want to mount my whelen justice light bar to a protech rack pictures would be great

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well I have my patriot bar from whelen mounted to my back rack with the L brackets from backrack and on the bar irself I have the perminate mount option on it and that has 1 bolt that comes down off the whelen bracket on the bar. you can mount it the other way with the feet too I have done that before.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'll post pics later.

4. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

ya i got it mounted on a backrack now but i just got a aluminum protech rack

5. 1olddogtwo

Oh........ I see "protech" now. Thought they offered a Mount for it?

6. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

i have no idea thinking about welding some flat stock on top and mount it that was i just want to c wat everyone else is doing

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

no idea what a protech rack is, but on my 02 i made my rack out of 1 inch square tube.
    i then welded 2 inch sections of 2 inch tube to the top rail and have the federal jetstrobe bar bolted to those pieces.
    the whelen edge LTL bar is going on the aluminum rack body. i am making some 2 inch wide risers to mount to the head board, then i will be mounting the edge bar to the risers.

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Cat 10 here is my set up

CAM00606.jpg

CAM00609.jpg

CAM00608.jpg

9. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

cat320 ya thats they way i got the set up now and i wanna mount it on this rack [​IMG]

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think for that type I would weld a piece of flat stock and put the regular mount with the feet and bolt it on each side of the main frame.

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Your bar mount is simple yet effective. However for a thief it is an easy snatch and grab with just a speed wrench or a power driver with a socket and a pair of side cutters. That could be gone in less than 15 seconds. Not saying there is no fool proof design from theft but if you make it more difficult for the thief to get where it takes more time they will probably pass on stealing it. Just looking at the mounts and the bolts, it says “steal me”. Even tacking some angle over the bolt heads will be some sort of deterrent. This will create a “next step” the thief has to take to get the bar, more noise, more time, more tools they will pass. I know people will say, there is no theft where I live. Hey but you never know.

12. 1olddogtwo

This is very true. I take s chisel across the threads on the 3/8 bolt and use trox on the attachment to light it self.

My alarm is wired to police siren to

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  13. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

that's chicago vs. stoneham ma. If I was in Chicago i would stay under my bed with a 12 guage and never come out.

14. 1olddogtwo

Hahaha....that's way I'm on the road 9 months ayear.

15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

The thought has crossed my mind on how to secure it better and I did find a bolt loose one time and thought that someone might of been trying to steel it but got interrupted in the process.

16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have carriage bolts welded to my rack mount plates, and i put the nuts up under the bed. to take the rack off you need to get to the nuts from underneath with 48 inches of extension bars on the ratchet.

17. 1olddogtwo

If they want the rack that bad, come get it!

18. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

That means I might just have to buy a tool box to slow them down

19. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I am not talking about stealing the rack. I am talking about the lightbar itself.

20. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

I don't think ull be able to reach the bolts for the light bar with out taking the rack off or it will be a real pain in the but