1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Full-Size light bar (magnetic mount)

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 77gmcserria, Jan 3, 2014.

1. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Has anyone bought or made magnetic mounts for a full size light bar? I don't want to drill any holes in the roof of my truck.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

No. Get gutter mounts for your lightbar if you feel you need a full-size one.

3. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

No one does because they would not hold and the bar will definitely fly off.

4. LopatLT7495

LopatLT7495 Member

I don't know if you would want to spend the money but you could always get a headache rack and mount a full bar to that.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

With the amount of magnets it would've taken a back rack is still cheaper!

Haha.

6. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Believe it or not, I have successfully run a 36" Star Interceptor light bar on my trucks for almost 10 years. Star does not recommend it, but I bought the parts directly from the factory (45 minutes from my house) to do it. I use eight 90 pound pull magnets. After lots of testing in some pretty nasty conditions (speed and head winds), I can tell you that it's rock solid. And pulling it off the roof takes more than a little effort.

Would I recommend this for a full size light bar? No way. There's just too much wind resistance.

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i had gutter mounts on my 88 and after 6-7 years they wore 4 holes in the roof.
    then i relocated the bar to the headache rack. now all my trucks have headaches on them with the light bars mounted on the racks.

8. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

I did that when I was young and dumb, I used 4 90lb magnets on a 48" federal street hawk for the most part it worked pretty good till one night some water got under the magnets and froze. I was pushing snow into a pile and when the truck stopped the lightbar kept going, if it wasn't for the sunvisor on my truck hooking it it would have ended up on my hood and than the ground. it was gutter straps from than on, live and learn.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

What kind of bar are you looking at? What kind of truck are you putting it on? As others have said they have tried it and failed. I had a buddy who tried it and it blew off his truck. The holes that need to be drilled are not in the roof. They are in the sides of the door jams. The cable can be run down the back window and in threw the rear cab vent or by drilling a hole in the floor of the cab. I do installs on the side and have installed numerous full bars on vehicles and have always managed to not drill to many if any holes in the vehicles. There are some you just can't obviously avoid. I always think of it this way when I am doing them. Would I want to have a hole drilled in my roof? Probably not. Would I want a hole here? No? Well maybe? Take your time and do it right.

10. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Clean install.....screw gutter clampspayup[​IMG]

11. ultimate plow

from N. IL

magnets on full size bar = dumb. Just to sum it up.

12. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

so how is that mounted? hard to tell from the image.

13. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

It still amazes me that I need to spend a couple hundred bucks on a headache bar to run my single Federal strobe on. It is mag mount right now but I wish that someone made a stake pocket strobe mount that my pipe mount could attach to. And those high mount stop light brackets? crack land prices on those too. Want something I can stuff into the stake pocket which is stable and isnt a 2x4 ripped to size.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It's just set on there. It's a 6.0 Powerstroke truck, it doesn't run long enough to have to worry about moving it and the light bar falling off. Thumbs Up

Sorry Justin, I had to! :mechanic:

15. ultimate plow

from N. IL

Thats actually sitting on a 6.7 dpf deleted jason special. :nod: Hey mark I get it coming from the chevy guy:laughing: But yes that bar is drilled straight thru the roof.

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Well in that case, carry on with the regular scheduled program!

17. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

made a bracket out of electrical strut bar and clamped it in the bed for mounting yellow strobe and work lights on

18. Dash Flash

Dash Flash Member
    from Arizona

Every light bar manufacturer that I know of recommends against using magnetic mounts on moving vehicles. That said, it's probably fairly safe at speeds below 35 or 40 mph.

But there's a lot of liability if a light bar blows off and goes through the windshield of the car behind you.

Obviously, the best way to mount a light bar is on a headache bar or on 1/2 of a ladder rack. For those who don't want something that permanent (or that expensive), we offer a $9.95 tie-down kit for our Magnum™ light bars. The tie-down kit consists of two ratchet straps with gutter clips on one end and hooks on the other end.

It's possible to make your own tie-downs using a long ratchet strap that goes though the vehicle and attaches to both sides of the light bar. The light bar would have to be positioned so the strap does not interfere with the driver. Our ratchet straps are custom made with the gutter clip on one end. These can't be bought "over the counter."