1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuild Recommendations

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mayhem, Oct 6, 2006.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Did a quick search without results, sorry if this is redundant.

Approx 5 year old 8' Fisher MM1 plow, brought it home and all the fluid in the pump leaked out because I had it in the bed of my truck. What kind of fluid do you guys use and how much is required. My local dealer recommended plain old ATF...is a 5 quart jug sufficient? I'm assuming a near total empty resivour, but there's probably pools of fluid that was left in the hoses and rams.

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

For the MM1 with the insta-act system it says 1-3/4 quarts for the reservoir and 2-3/8 to 2-3/4 quarts Total

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I Usually mix a little dedicated snowplow fluid, such as meyers fluid or an equal. It helps keep the fluid working better at lower temps and prevents freeze up. The old belt drive pumps could run on straight ATF but the electric pump tend to be very slow and straining when the ATF is really cold.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

CAUTION
    Do not mix different types of hydraulic fluid.
    Some fluids are not compatible and may cause
    performance problems and product damage.

Atf would be my last choice.
    The wax separates from the fluid at low temps clogging the filter resulting in a plow that moves slow.

You can use a fluid that is made by another plow MFG.
    OR use a hydraulic fluid with a AW rating, usually it's good down to -40.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=303944#post303944
    AND http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=34186&highlight=fluid+change

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't you ever work?:rolleyes: :jester: LOL

Must be raining there too.:realmad:

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol, the joy of being self employed!!xysport

No rain today.. But it's too windy to go bird hunting..:realmad:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I buy a gallon of Fisher's EZ FLOW hydraulic fluid every year.

8. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Fisher fluid is the best, but expensive, and Fisher recommends that you flush your system before filling, as they don't recommend mixing it with other fluids. Next best is full synthetic ATF, the plow will work much faster at low temps then with regular ATF.

Bill

9. Antnee77

from RI

How do they say you should flush the hydraulic system? Is it more than just draining it out of the reservoir and then out of each hydraulic cylinder?

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer makes a great hydraulic flush. put on your best fake nose an slink into the meyer dealer for a couple of quarts.:rolleyes:

11. nsmilligan

No, but draining the angle cylinders and lines is the key,not simply draining and filling the reservoir.

Bill

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Hey!! :rolleyes:
    You have had the fake nose for a while now how about sending it back...:waving:

13. mayhem

from Peru MA

Fisher dealer told me to put the plow level, open the drain and then manually push the plow back and forth to get all the fluid out of the rams. He told me to not even consider using the Fisher fluid unless I was going to drain and purge the system, but that a full drain and fluid change is part of their service plan if I get it done there...$125.

14. Antnee77

from RI

I would sure as hell hope that they do more than just that for $125. It's so easy to flush the system out and change the fluid yourself that it's pathetic. Just drop $20 or so on the fluid and grab your oil pan.

15. mayhem

from Peru MA

Well yeah, I assue the "full annual service" covers more than a fluid change. I was just answering the question.

16. mayhem

from Peru MA

Maybe a dumb followup question...where do I fill it? I took a look the other day and I don't see an obvious filler cap. Its an insta-act pump.

17. Antnee77

from RI

You fill it on the side of the reservoir, just under the motor. There is a square bolt that you need to remove to access it.

18. nsmilligan

Some also fill thru the vent , remove the big black or grey cap

BIll

19. ssnh

ssnh Junior Member
    from nh

what chain stores, especially in the nh area, sell fisher hydraulic fluid?