1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuid changes (temps)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Nov 6, 2008.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok guys I want to change my fuids trans & diffs...(01 2500HD) Which is better for trans after it has sat all night or drive it up to running temp also for the diffs cold or warm..Tranfer too...
    Thanks. ! ! ! ! ! ! ...

2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I've always believed that the warmer the fluid temps, the easier they will drain... I'd get it up to temp, and let them drain...

3. RichG53

OK the only ? I have was the trans ...Will I stir up the dirt my driving it verses draining after sitting all night.. The diffs I can see draining after being warmed up ...What about the trans...

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

No u wont sir anything up and neither does taking it to a shop and having all of it exchanged. Draining the 4 or so quarts out of a 14 or so quart system is kind of like peeing in the ocean it doesnt do a whole lot. But It does do a little.

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Havent heard that one in a while....... thats funny.

Shouldnt be any "dirt" except maybe a few metal filings, and thats what the filter and tray magnet are for...

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'll get the more fluid from the trans if you let it set for a day or two before you drain.

T-case and diffs, either way is fine.

None are fun when their hot. :cry:

7. RichG53

Thanks B B I new you would come through for me.....:yow!:

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a firm believer in changing all my fluids while hot---not only is all your contamination in suspension and you will remove more of it,but it will also drain so much faster,especially when you vent it by opening a fill plug or engine oil cap.Most manuals will tell you this,no matter what the application--only makes sense.

9. brad96z28

No what makes sense is that letting it sit for a couple days will allow the conveter to drain a little into the pan so u may get a little more out.And the trans has a vent so no need to vent it!

10. tuney443

First of all,this wasn't meant for just the tranny,he asked about draining his TC and rears also.Secondly,I fully agree with what you just said,except when I do a R+R of my ATF,I'll pump it all out for a complete changeout.Leaving 60-70% still in the converter to me is like putting a condom on only half way.This even makes more sense.

11. brad96z28

I just u my wynns trans serve2+ and exchange 99.9 % of the transmission fluid . The diff should either have a hole at the bottom or rear cover so that dont matter either way. And if u can warm up the transfer case enough to get more fluid out of it good luck with that and that has a vent too :).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  12. RichG53

Brad what are you trying to tell me at the beginning of that first sentence...I don't understand....Please try again...Thank You..!!!!!:dizzy:

13. brad96z28

Its a flush machine :)

14. RichG53

Thank You !! I thought maybe you miss spelled some words....So thats the name of the flushing machine.... Got it.........

15. tuney443

You miss my point completely.You stick with your ways,me to mine.

16. brad96z28

Apparently.