1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fuel vapor canister

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by camino4x4, Mar 30, 2003.

1. camino4x4

camino4x4 Junior Member
    from maine

Just wondering. what exactly is the point of a fuel vapor canister?

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I am not 100% sure but I believe that it is to help start the engine easier. I have seen a few guys in NASCAR doing that. If a car wont refire, a guy would spray something in the small air opening between the hood and windshield which is supposed to help the car restart easier.

A few times if the mower won't start or having difficulity starting, I would usually take the air filter out, pour just a few drops of gas in the air filter unit, start the engine then reinstall the air filter. Be careful when doing that.

3. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

If you are referring to the vapor canister under the hood of a street legal vehicle? it is an emissions control device to catch the fuel vapor from your fuel tank and prevent the vapor from escaping into the atmosphere. The captured vapor is pulled back out of the canister and burned when the engine is running via a vacuum line.
    If that is the fuel vapor canister you are talking about?

4. camino4x4

camino4x4 Junior Member
    from maine

thanks dan thats what i was talking about