1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel usage ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sno4U, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Does anyone have a standard for fuel usage per truck/ per hour?
    I'm like to know for a avg. P/U truck (3/4 Ton) w/ a 350 motor (or Ford equivalant) and a 8 ft plow (straight blade).
    I'm trying to figure fuel costs per hour per truck.
  2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Man that is a loaded question. There are so many variables to what your comsumption could be. Good luck on this, each time is different when we go out.
  3. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

i run a half a tank on a 4 hr rout ford 5.4 same for the chevys 5.7
  4. I run a 75-100 mile route and usually buy 15 gal at the end of the day

the longer route is when we have to cover a few homes further away and the milage
    increases significantly but the fuel use isnt alot more

if we drive the minimum route of 50 miles -- it is still 8 gals or so and the lowest mpg
    ( all plowing and little transient/travel)

5. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

Ok put it this way, My buddies powertstroke that he usually plows with, uses 1/4 of a tank per storm. Its an 07 350 regular cab 3.73 with a 8 1/2 fisher V. Now the truck he used last strom was an 2006 F250 5.4L extended cab 3.73 with a 8'2 Boss V. He only had an 1/8 of a tank left with the 250 after doing the same route... go figure..
  6. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

if you are doing lots. we will see how much the guage moves. then you just charge them for what it costs to fill.
  7. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Well what I'm trying to figure is something like; If You use a gallon an hour U know that truck is costing about $3.68/hr for fuel to plow.
    Fuel price has been jumping fast around here lately!!!:realmad::realmad:
  8. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Are you trying to calculate your total cost per hour or just fuel?
  9. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Rite now I just want fuel. Everybodys' labor is different so I'm not looking for the whole answer, just part of it.
    If you have the "whole answer" I'd be interested-make sure you state your labor rate used. (please)
  10. ECS

ECS Senior Member

This is from Feb 1rst - Feb 10th of this year. This is as close as I can get it for you without spending a lot of time digging up the exact #s for you. Most of these storms and #s reflect driving in white out conditions, dealing with 12"-36" of drifts and in 4 wheel low for all of the drives. Hopefully this will help you out a little bit though. 4 wheel low in those conditions produces about 6 mpg while 4 high gives me about 11 mpg

367 miles
    18.60 drive hours
    53.25 Total hours
    59.708 Gallons Fuel
  11. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

lets try that again
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  12. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Depends on if you’re pushing 2", 4", 8" of snow. Is the snow light and fluffy or wet and heavy? This is going to really throw off what you use for gas especially with a 5.4L Ford or 5.7 Chevy. Big blocks have more torque so it won't be as drastic of a difference. Or you could have a turbo diesel and it doesn't really matter:D
  13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

This is based on all commerical large lots, so you are pushing a good sized winrow most of the time. Trucks never shut off from the time they leave till they get back. This is based on the 8-14 inch( depends on area we were in) snow we got last month.

Basing fuel charge on: (I know prices are higher now, but basing prices of recipets from that when snow happened in January)
    $3.50 gallon for diesel
    $3.00 gallon for gas

All trucks run 8 1/2 foot western plows

Truck: 2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas/ 4l80e trans
    42 gallons of fuel for approx. 30 hours ($4.20 hour to run)

Truck: 2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax diesel/ Allison auto
    20 gallons of fuel for approx. 30 hours ($2.30 hour to run)

Truck: 2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax diesel/ ZF-6 - 6 speed manual
    16 gallons of fuel for approx. 30 hours ($1.86/ hour to run)

Truck: 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel/ 5 speed manual
    15 gallons of fuel for approx. 30 hours ($1.75/ hour to run)
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  14. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Thanks alot folks these are really the answers I was looking. As usual this board has been big help.
    Thanx again.