1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Tank Swap?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Pelican, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've been considering shifting my rear axle back on my 550 to put more weight on the front end when loaded. The majority of my dump body is located behind the rear axle and the truck handles poorly and screams "Look at me!" to DOT with a load on.

Up until recently, I thought this would be more trouble than it's worth, because my fuel tank is located directly behind the axle. Due to all my accessories already hanging on my frame, a saddle tank was out of the question.

I just learned that the Super Duty pickups have a tank ahead of the axle and between the frame rails, this location would work for me. My question is if anyone knows for certain this tank will swap in without a bunch of fabrication.

If this works, and if my tank will swap into the pickups, you can gain a 38 gallon axillary tank if you're willing to give up your spare tire mount.

Wyldman, your PM didn't make it to me, only the second one did.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I can't see why it couldn't be done.It may require some fab work,but it can be done.

I will have an F550 Diesel C&C (roll off truck) in for service next week or so.I will try and get lots of pics and measurement's and then I can do the same with an F350 to see if it will work.It may take a bit to get a Super Duty in,not many due for service soon.

I'm sorry about the PM.I got a server too busy message when sending it,and then when I went back,it was gone.I guess it's not like a reply where is caches your message and keeps it if you go back.I had typed up a really long reply. :realmad:

I will look into it some more,and get back to you soon.If you can think of any specific details you want to know about the trucks,let me know so I can look into them when the trucks are in the shop.
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Someone mentioned on another site that the frame width may be different. My F-350 is also a chassis/cab and has the same tank and all frame measurements are the same. Most of the mounting holes seem to be in the same places too. I know the pickups are a foot shorter, but maybe the width is the same?
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

To the best of my knowledge,the frames are the same width.The biggest difference is the rear track (rearend width) is narrower on a C&C vs a regular truck.

I will measure and find out for you.
  5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

one of my suppliers in mahopac, has a 550 that has the saddle tank and rear tank removed, just for the reasons you mentioned.

we were talking about it, awhile back. i think the truck builder moved it up.

if you want , ill talk to him and find out more for you.
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Thanks, Paul!

If you don't mind, ask him if there were any problems or glitches in moving the axle back.
  7. paul soccodato

no problem,

ill find out some more info this week, and let you know.
  8. paul soccodato

i spoke with the owner's brother today, although he did'nt have any specific's, he told me that Phoenix body built the truck.

he told me, they remove the rear fuel tank and put a saddle tank in to better offset the weight, and thats it. they don't relocate the axle.

i don't know what wheelbase their truck is.

i'll see if i can find out some more info for you.
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Boy, that seems like a lot of work for what you gain. I calculate you're only moving about 300 pounds, a small percentage of the gross.

Thanks for checking!
  10. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Stop down and see Barry Ortiz in Hopewell. He has done alot of axle moving over the years. Plus he has a insurance to do it. I heard somewhere you need to be qualified to move the axles. Maybe some DOT requirement.

John Tarrant stopped by my shop yesterday to show me a demo. I asked him that very same question about the axle being to far forward. Nobody has complained to him about it. I see what you mean though.(Please Mr.DOT pull me over LOL) We don't need that. :nono:

Good Luck
  11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Never thought of Barry, he's good people. I take whatever welding that's over my head to him.

What size truck are you looking at? The 550 too?
  12. paul soccodato

hey Pelican,

i spoke to the other brother today, he told me that J&J truck in Pennsylvania built the truck. here you go

give them a call and see if they can help.
  13. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

i worked for a truck body installer for a few yrs,ive installed dump bodies on a few vehicles,and there should be a maximum of 36" from the center of the axle to the center of the pivot mounts on the body.anything over the 36" is not good for capacity hauling due to being over axle weights.

as for the tanks,if there is room for a saddle tank,it would be better than an inside frame mount tank,but sometimes there is no room for the side mount.