1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Tank leak question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by eamims, Jan 27, 2003.

1. eamims

eamims Junior Member

I haven't been driving my 1977 C10 much this past week because of the ice on the roads here (not to mention the below 0 temps have kept me inside most the time). Well, I smelled gasoline yesterday as I walked past and noticed a puddle under the passengers door. I took off the protective piece on the front of the gas tank and, sure enough, gasoline was 'seeping' through the metal. There is no visable hole, but there is rust (which I'm guessing is a common problem in that area), and when I wipe away the gas drip it slowly comes through the metal.

Questions:

Best place to get a new tank (20 gal)?
    Can I replace it without removing the bed?
    Should I replace anything else when I do this, any recommendations?
    Is it held only by those straps?

Thanks guys...you're always a big help!

~~Eric:confused:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Should be able to get a new tank from a jobber or parts store.Rad shops also carry tanks.Get a new set of straps while your there,instead of fighting with the old rusty ones.You may also have to repair or replace the fuel lines\sending unit if it's rusty too.

Another option is to get a used tank\sending unit assy from a southern wrecker.Not much rust down there and they look almost new,at a fraction of the cost.

The bed does not have to come off.

You must unbolt the "L" shaped brackets from the frame and they come down with the tank.Then the staps will unbolt to get the tank off the brackets.Drain as much fuel as possible out of the tank so it's a lot lighter.

3. eamims

eamims Junior Member

Any thoughts on whether or not to get a polyethylene tank over steel? Anybody use one?

4. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

Gas tank

I have a 1977 chevy short bed. (bought new in 1977) Just replaced the gas tank four the third time. It has a 16 gal tank. I bought the tank at the local parts store. The tank saddles were also rusted bad. Had to go to the local GM dealer to get them. I also replaced the neck. The tank is between the frame and the bed, did not have to remove bed.

Firefighter

:waving:

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

For a temporary fix look for a product called "SealAll". It comes in a red and yellow painted tube and it WORKS! Follow the directions on the tube and it will stop the drip. Not really a temporary fix either, I've fixed tank leaks and had them last for over a year.

6. snowflake

snowflake Member

or another temp quick fix try a bar of hand soap like irish spring or dove and rub it over the spot thats leakin try tooo clean it off the best you can but donnt get to carryed away mite turn it into a real fast leaker
    mite sound stupid but has worked of me

7. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I just replaced both tanks and sending units on my 86 GMC K 3500 and the brackets were junk too and that cost a pretty penny from GM, I had to take the box off to do mine. I undercoated everything and want to make up some sheilds with holes throught the bottom for drian holes so the water and salt wont sit in there and rust it all out agian.

8. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

That stuff is great. I tried it an a gas tank in my old ford that had pinhole leaks. Made sure i drained the tank down past the whole and waited for it to dry then put the sealall on and waited for it to dry. The stuff really does resist gas and old. Used it on a expansion tank that had automatic transmission fluid in for a quick fix. worked as long as it is allowed to dry before the fluid touched it

9. Wesley's Lawn

This sealall you speak of where can you get it, Fleet Farm, Menards? Will it work on plastic? I have a rubber seal on my snowmobile gas take where the fuel line comes out that and behind it there is two holes in the tank.

10. SCFALL

SCFALL Member

seal all

Any hardware or auto parts store should have it. It comes in a yellow and red tube like toothpaste. I did a gas tank on my boat about ten years ago and my sleds tank (plastic) two years ago both still working great. Scott

11. Wesley's Lawn

All right thanks alot scott il try it out.

12. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

it is also sold at wally world for $2 or $3 a bottle.

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

American Designers has the best prices on replacement tanks I've found, if you're a commercial business, you get an added discount. Make sure you mention the name of your business when calling. They also have the sending units and mounting straps available.

My '97 F-350 had a factory plastic tank, I never had any trouble with it. Dodge has been using them for quite a few years now too. One thing's for certain, they won't rust out.