1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel System Problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Pinto, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Pinto

Pinto Junior Member

I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 P/U with the 323 V-8. The other day while driving down the interstate the truck acted like it just ran out of gas. After changing te fuel filter and the fuel pump pressure regulator on the side of the road. I had to tow it home. Now, with the fuel line disconnected at the fule filter, sometimes the fuel pump runs and sometimes it will not. It sounds like the relay (which I changed also) is turning the fuel puump off? Is there a fuel pressure sensor somewhere that could be causing this? I am open for suggestions?????
  2. Pinto

Pinto Junior Member

Since nobody replied:

The problem was a bad fuel pump, if you jump 87 and 30 terminal points in the fuse box this sends 12 volts to the pump. The pump would not run when power was sent to it. The fact that it would run sometimes and not all the time is not uncommon when a pump is going bad. The easiest way to get to the pump is by removing the truck bed and setting it on the bumber and the rear wheels. This gives you plenty of room to remove the pump. When buying the new pump make sure you notice "TCF" or "TCU" marked on top of the old pump. This will make a difference when getting the new one or you need your VIN number. I did a bunch of research and talked to several mechanics to find out all of this info. :dizzy: