1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Surcharge?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by naco, Oct 10, 2004.

1. naco

naco Member

Is anyone charging a Fuel Surcharge?

2. rainair

rainair Senior Member

got it in the contract! payup

3. naco

naco Member

based on what? does a company charge 5-15% of there bill?

4. bobshm

bobshm Junior Member

bobshm

undefined I have done fuel surcharges for the past two years. For monthly contract installment customers, I charge 1.5% of the monthly amount. For per event customers, I charge a flat guesstimated amount. Either way, it is based on my appx. fuel use at that account. I have only had one complaint, and that customer now has a specific price "trigger" in his contract that specifies when the fuel surcharge will apply. For everyone but this customer, common sense works fine. Also, I have a line in my contracts that allows a surcharge for material cost increases for causes beyond my control, so when my salt supplier or any other vendor charges ME a fuel surcharge I am covered. This doesn't mean I have it all figured out. We just work too hard and take too much risk to not be compensated for cost increases.

5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

naco, do a search on this. It has been an interesting topic this fall. Everybody has different ideas on this. BOAST

6. naco

naco Member

thanks yall

7. rainair

rainair Senior Member

fuel surcharge

mine states, a 10% surcharge will apply any day that the price of Gas is +$2.00 a gallon. per visit per truck..
    the up prices in fuel right now is direct line with the storms that hit the gulf
    platforms.. they had hoped that they could fix them in 6 weeks. it may take up wards to 6 months for some repairs...fill your large tanks now for the winter
    prices will be up wards to +3.00 gal... go to a farm store and have them bring a tank... I know it does not look good in the driveway but will save you big $$$