1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Supplement

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CityGuy, Jan 19, 2010.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I need some input from you all. One of our guys swears up and down about putting Diesel Fuel Supplement in the fuel tanks. He also states that we need to carry a can of Diesel Fuel 911 a product that supposedly cures a gelling problem. Does anyone else run these products or have any experience in using these products? I am just not 100% sure I believe in using these products. The trucks sit in a heated shop unless out being used and continue to run from the time they leave the shop until they come back.
  2. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I had a friend give me a bottle of it last year and had it sitting on the shelf. My JD tractor got a shot of water and I was messing around with the fuel filter trying to clear it out and it was 10 below zero. I dumped some into my fuel tank and went inside for a coffee. Came out 20mins later and was going to do the filter again and BINGO it was clearing so I started the tractor and it never ran so good . That stuff reallys worked great for me and FAST!:salute:
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It gets real cold in Minnesota doesn't it? There's your answer--listen to your guy.EVERY fill with all of my diesels get an anti-gel treatment in the Winter,a ''low lubricity fuel treatment'' the rest of the year without question.Also,every vehicle/tractor has a bottle of 911 in it for the slight chance of a gelling problem.Been in the excavating biz 36 years now,have only gelled up twice when I stupidly didn't listen to my own advice.Give your guy a raise.:)
  4. speedy

speedy Senior Member

We must have better additives in our fuel here on the Canadian prairies. I've only ever had to use a fuel treatment once due to gelling and once for water. (and everyone that used fuel from that station was having H2O issues) I'm sure we get colder for longer weather than you do. Maybe it's that your fuel comes from more sources and there isn't enough control on the additive processes, or they don't even make a definitive 'winter fuel'? All our fuel, diesel and gasoline, in this area comes out of one refinery, no matter the brand. The additive package is blended in when filling the tanker truck at the refinery.